Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Pivot Calculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pivot Calculations

I use the calculations below for Pivots:-

PIVOT = ((HIGH+ LOW + CLOSE) / 3)

Support Line 1 = (PIVOT x 2) - HIGH
    Support Line 2 = (PIVOT - HIGH) + LOW
    Support Line 3 = LOW - (2 x (HIGH - PIVOT))

Resistance Line 1 = (PIVOT x 2) - LOW
    Resistance Line 2 = (PIVOT + HIGH) - LOW
    Resistance Line 3 = HIGH + (2 x (PIVOT - LOW))

Note, I have not included the Mid points as yet, but will be working on these within a few weeks.

The only difference between these Pivots and the pre-written one called "Pivots" in NT, is the Support and Resistance lines 3. The S3 and R3 in NT's "Pivots" are far more distance away from the pivots I use based on the calculations above. (I think the "pivots" in NT may be based on the "Classic" formula)

If there are any traders who wish to use Pivots based on the above calculation then just edit lines 144 and 145.

For S3, edit the "Pivots" script at Line 144 to:-

currentLow - 2 * (currentHigh - pp)

And Edit Line 145 for R3 to:-

currentHigh + 2 * (pp - currentLow)

Save it as a name of your choice and press F5 to compile and it should be complete.

I find using the Pivot function in NT very useful indeed. I use ALL the "Pivot Range Types" within the pivot study in different charts.

The 'Monthly' Range I use on my Daily and 240 minute charts; 'Weekly' Range on my 60 minute charts and finally the 'Daily' range for my 15 minute charts or less.

I use "CalcFromIntradayData" for in the PriorDayHLC parameter as I find this works best and is consistant.

On my Daily, 240 and 60 min charts I set the sessions (for Forex markets) at 24 hours, i.e. 00:00 to 00:00. For my 15m (or less charts) I set the sessions to 01:00 to 22:00. (Iam in the UK)

If the trend is UP on the Daily and 240m charts, I then look where prices are in relation to my Pivot on my 60m chart; Here I will look for support on the Pivots or support lines (S1, S2, etc). (Prices can also be supported 'above' resistance lines, ie. R1, R2, etc)

If prices tend to be supported by pivots, or S or R lines (and trendlines also), I will attempt to take Long trades (Buy's) on the lower time frames (eg 15m) providing prices there ALSO find support on the "Daily" Pivots, or R1 or R2 and, in a very strong UP trend, R3.

But however a trader wishes employs pivots, they are an excellent function in NT's platform and accurate no matter what calculation of pivot type one uses.
    Last edited by maz100; 06-15-2009, 08:11 AM.

Thanks MAZ

I have no programming skills but was able to accomplish that as the instructions were soooo complete and simple! Thanks again...

I was also hoping that you could help me with an indicator. I'd like an arrow placed above/below what I define as a thrust bar (kinda like VSA/Wycoff, but different). Simply a bar w/high >= hi of the the previous 2 bars closing in the lower 1/3 of the bar ( a red arrow pointing down would be nice) or a bar w/low <=low of the previous 2 bars closing in upper 1/3 of the bar (a green arrow pointing up would be nice). To a total non programmer it seems this should be easy, but I dont know how to do it... took fortran and cobol in the early 60's... am I old or what? LOL

Also I'm interested in divergences in the slope of the 2 "rays' in Elder rays... a marker of some sort if the are diff ie one up one down.

same with Williams% and CCI divergences. some marker if divergent from each other. I've been messing with stock options for several years and have seen these work in different instances with options data volume.

I'd gladly give you my first born or second or....

Let me know if these are easily done and you would be willing to do them for me.

Thanks,
    BillyBob
    bbj an chor @ yah oo .com no spaces
    Last edited by bbj_anchor; 06-21-2009, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post CactusMan  
    Started by giulyko00, Yesterday, 12:03 PM
    2 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post giulyko00