Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Parabolic SAR settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parabolic SAR settings

Hi

I'm using Ninjatrader ver 6.5.1000.14 and am finding I cannot change some of the settings.

Acceleration: is no problem and can be changed to any value i choose
    Acceleration max.: cannot be set lower than 0.02
    Acceleration step: cannot be set lower than 0.02

On a superseded computer and earlier version of NT I was able to change all these settings.

Can anyone advise if they are having similar problem and the solution please.

Euler, this is hardcoded to those min values, correct - you could copy into a new indicator and change those minimuns then in the properties section of the code.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi

Can you please advise or give a link to how I can copy the existing indicator to modify it. Have search for a solution but could not find it.
      Regards

Comment

Euler, please open the indicator (Tools > Edit NinjaScript > Indicator) and then right click in it 'Save as'...enter a new name for your modded version and tweak it as desired, after this press F5 to compile the changes in.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
          Euler, please open the indicator (Tools > Edit NinjaScript > Indicator) and then right click in it 'Save as'...enter a new name for your modded version and tweak it as desired, after this press F5 to compile the changes in.

Right clicking on the indicator has no effect ... doesn't give me the panel with the save as option. Is there another way to select it and save it?
          Last edited by Euler; 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM.

Comment

You would need to open the indicator source code first, and then right click 'Save as' to be able to save it to a different copy.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
              You would need to open the indicator source code first, and then right click 'Save as' to be able to save it to a different copy.
              Have tried that several times, but it won't let me open the indicator selected and results in the following error ...

"Ninjatrader application has encountered a problem and needs to close."
              Error report advises ....
              AppName:ninjatrader.exe AppVer:6.5.1000.14 AppStamp:4b1f42ae
              ModName:mscorwks.dll ModVer:2.0.50727.3603 ModStamp: 4a7cd88e
              fDebug:0 Offset: 00010163

The error occurs for any indicator, but no problem encountered if I try and edit a Strategy.
              Last edited by Euler; 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Euler, would tip on a .NET related issue here, to confirm and check into please send us your logs via Help > Mail to Support - thanks

Comment

Psar

I'm not a coder, just a trader...how can I change the Acceleration Step of the Parabolic SAR to accept something other than 0.02? Such as 0.008, for example.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Welcome to our forums, here's an example as courtesy for you and the other who asked attached. The user input lower boundary for the step was opend up to allow for lower values as you seeked. You can import the zip via File > Utilities > Import NinjaScript.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the superfast response, worked like a charm!

Comment

PSAR with increasing / decreasing acceleration

The original PSAR has a minimum acceleration and a maximum acceleration. When a new high is made the acceleration is increased (long position) by a pre-defined stepsize.
                        There is a mjaor inconvenience resulting from this behaviour. When volatility settles down (no new highs but sideways price action), the trailing stop continues to approach the consolidation with a high acceleration, until the trailing stop hits the price bars.

Now it does not really make sense that the stop moves until it hits price bars during a consolidation. It should be the other way round! The stop should remain below the lateral consolidation and not move into it.

Therefore I suggest a modified PSAR, which allows for decreasing the acceleration during a consolidation. Or otherwise put, if no new high is made, the acceleration should be decreased. The stepsize for decreasing the acceleration should be smaller than the stepsize for increasing the acceleration. Further there should be an option only to reverse the position, when a close is made beyond the stop line (as opposed to low/high for the default version).

Suggested modifications:

(1) Allow for decreasing acceleration, define negative step size for consolidations
                        (2) Alternatively use the close to detect a breach of the trailing stop

Example: Charts for CL 03-14 as per today.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                        Started by frankthearm, Yesterday, 09:08 AM
                        13 responses
                        0 likes