Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

up and donw colors on indicators and ma's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

up and donw colors on indicators and ma's

Hello,

Looking for a very simple item.
    I use indicators ( cci, macd, stoch.....) and ma's
    when an indicator is going UP i want the colour of it green ( or other to at my chioce ) and when is going DOWN i want the clour red ( or other at my choice )
    and the same for my Ma's ( sma, wma..........)

How can i get that in the program ?

best regards and thanks.

Hello,

To do this would require custom coding the indicator to do this. Are you using NinjaTrader 6.5 or Ninjatrader 7?

Comment

hello Brett,

Thanks for your reply.
      I am a ninjatrader 7. I was hoping that with this new platform that problem was out of the world but it seems that it is not.
      How to do that ?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your forum post.

Great. In this case there is an easier way in 7 to custom program this. This is specific user customization that needs to be done to fit your trading style. Others may want it colored for different reasons, this is the reason that it needs to be custom coded for most indicators. Please see the following guide on how to do this.

What you would do is create and indicator that will plot the indicator value you need and change colors based if the current value if higher or lower then the previous value.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Best Brett,

ok i downloadedn the zipfile and have new 2 ma's. Do i have to unzip this file, read the comments in it and what then?
          dissect my cci in the same way and modify?
          This is getting a bit........
          Not only i make a system, i have to custom code also.....

sorry but exlain me in detail how to proceed to make work this

thanks

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately you would need to know how to custom program to do this. Since we do not write code for clients unfortunately the only thing I can do is point you in the right direction. The file I pointed you to is a sample of how to do this in code on your own indicator.

You can contact one of our Ninja Script consultants to assist you with coding this or you can use our Ninja Script guide and forums to code this indicator yourself if you are a programmer.

Ninja Script Consultants:

NinjaScript Help Guide:

Comment

best Brett,

Thats what i was alraedy thinking you was going to do that
              Now, every self respecting trade platform can easely colorcode the ma's and the oscillators.
              However NINJA is not doing that. That would be the job of coders. You have to pay. ( part of the deal with coders? ) many questions would be solved if ninjaplatform would be as easy as others.

I know its not your responsabilty but after 19 UPDATES this issue is not solved. Oh yes complex lines on 10 charts at the same time..........for those who want that but the simple things? for every change you need coders, 3th parties, wathever.

Sorry but is a bridge to far

the reason you give me
              " This is specific user customization that needs to be done to fit your trading style. Others may want it colored for different reasons, this is the reason that it needs to be custom coded for most indicators "
              is fake, in computerterms: A HOAX

No wonder that i see more and more forums that cab't appriciate the NINJAPLATFORM any more

Thats my opinion

anayway, have a great day and thaks for all the efforts. I know you and other on NINJAPLATFORM are doing a good job helping users.

Comment

Hello,

No problem. I understand this is on our list for possibly adding to a future version of NinjaTrader. However as of currently the only way to change the color of an indicator based on if it is higher or lower then previous if the indicator isnt coded to include this already is through custom coding.

Comment

Hi there!
                  I am a new user so I may be wrong, but I believe this basic feature of being able to colour code an indicator according to if it goes up or down is still not native in NT8.
                  This is a bit ridiculous considering it is a very basic feature in many trading platforms and it is useful for obvious reasons.
                  Unfortunately the ZIP file provided in this thread was for NT7. Is there anything available for NT8?

Coming from another platform that i was able to learn in a couple days including screener features and automatic trading, I am a bit disappointed to see how everything that was so easy to use on the other platform is way more complicated to implement in NT.
                  That does not mean NT sucks of course, but it could be greatly improved in terms of user-friendliness by having a look at the Pro Real Time platform which is in my view the best platform there is today after having tested quite a few.

Cheers.
                  Last edited by The_Butcher; 07-26-2021, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Hello The_Butcher,

Thanks for your feedback.

This is a NinjaTrader 7 thread, but you may find the NinjaTrader 8 sample here - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ored_plots.htm

You may also find a pre-built slope indicator on our User App Share useful - https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/use...ope-color-nt8/

The link above is publicly available.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you very much Jim, this helped.

The first zip file does not work as expected though: instead of plotting the SMA changing color according to slope, it plots 2 lines parallel to the real SMA, offset by the same amount, 1 on each side of the SMA. One of these lines is black when the slope is up and red when it is down and the other is black when the SMA is down and green when it is up. That's weird...

Thankfully, the second ZIP is wonderful!

Thanks!

Now I need to figure out how to have %K on the MACD change color according to it's slope too... Any chance you have that in stock ? ;-)

Comment

Hello The_Butcher,

The first link is an example to show you how to color plot lines in NinjaScript.

There is a MACD UpDown indicator that colors the main MACD plot line, I have included a link below.

You may also search the User App Share for other free indicators.

The links above are publicly available.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
                          Hello The_Butcher,

The first link is an example to show you how to color plot lines in NinjaScript.

There is a MACD UpDown indicator that colors the main MACD plot line, I have included a link below.

You may also search the User App Share for other free indicators.

The links above are publicly available.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.
                          The indicator is not always updating correctly. If you choose 'update on tick' or 'update on price change', the indicator does not always change color correctly.
                          What is strange is the fact that it sometimes happens but many times not. What can be the problem?

Comment

Hello marcus2300,

I am not seeing an issue. The red/green MACD line changes green when it is rising from the last bar, and changes red when it is falling from the last bar.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
                              Hello marcus2300,

I am not seeing an issue. The red/green MACD line changes green when it is rising from the last bar, and changes red when it is falling from the last bar.
                              Yes, I know what the script does.

I will explain how I found out that there is a problem.

I made screenshots from a chart where I put the MACD indicator, because I noticed that when I closed the workspace and opened it again, sometimes the colors suddenly were different.
                              If I pushed F5 (reload ninjascript) sometimes I saw the color change from red to green or opposite. So there is a problem as reloading the script should not make any difference and the colors should stay like they were.

I will try to make screenshots of the problem, but it can take days before I can show what happens because the problem does not occur many times. It happens mostly when the market is reversing and jumps a few times up and down.
                              I am 100% sure that there is some problem and the colors sometimes don't change correctly.

Today it happened again:
                              60 minute chart, at 3AM (exchange time) we had a green bar in MES 03-22. The next bar was in the beginning also green. But after some time the market went down and the color sc-huld have changed to red, but it did not. I pushed F5 and then the color became red. So f5 fixed the problem by rerunning the script. But that same script is running all day so should be identical It even happens sometimes that the bar is red and green at the same time, which is completely impossible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	1181650 .
                              Last edited by marcus2300; 12-14-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
                              Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Aviram Y