Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Want to create a new constructor for an indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to create a new constructor for an indicator

I have an indicator which started off as a small prototype and now has 8 parameters.

I would like to have a constructor for the indicator that takes all 8 parameters. How can I create or code this? I have looked at the generated code and it doesn't seem obvious, and the indicator wizard only allows me to specify 4 parameters.

Thanks

adamus, you can add user defined inputs with those instructions posted in the tips section -

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Bertrand,

do you mean to imply that just adding the input parameters like the example you gave will actually add the parameters to the constructor for the indicator?

I construct my indicator in my strategies like this:

Code:
      FXCorrelator correlator = FXCorrelator();
      However I have 8 parameters which I wish to pass in so actually I want to do this:

Code:
      FXCorrelator correlator = FXCorrelator(true, true, true, false, true, false, false, false);
      However this constructor for the indicator doesn't exist and I would like it to. Can you tell me how to set it up?

Thanks
      Last edited by adamus; 09-08-2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Hello adamus,

Yes, once you add the public inputs, the constructor will then reflect the new inputs.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Bertrand,

that's not what I'm seeing. In the tool tip that appears showing the possible completions, for my indicator I only have the zero parameter indicator, and the 1 parameters indicator taking the BarsArray data series.

Is there any extra stuff that is needed to facilitate this? I stripped out all comments and #regions etc to get a better overview of my code.

I

Comment

Did you touch any of the NinjaScript wizard generated code section (suggested to leave as is)?

You can copy your script into a complete new indicator so this is regenerated then.
            BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

No, I'm sure I didn't.

But I'll try starting from scratch again to see if it works on a fresh indicator script file.

What you are saying is that the wizard-generated code will be regenerated if I add another parameter?
              Last edited by adamus; 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM.

Comment

OK so it does generate a new constructor then - and the parameters are nicely sorted, alphabetically.

So I'm not sure what I did wrong earlier, but I'm ok now.

Thanks

Comment

Did this resolve itself? I'm having the same issue with my overloaded indicator constructor. When I added a new parameter the auto-generated code still did not produce a an overloaded constructor. (i.e. myIndicator(a,b,c,d) is not recognized). There is definitely something weird going on.

Here is the thread I created http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...338#post341338

Comment

No, I haven't had any more issues with this.

As you said in the other thread, you need the region / endregion wrappers around the parameters - I found removing them mucks it up.

If you're still having issues, I'd recommend renaming the indicator (to anything just to get rid of your old code) and copying in your code into a new script file generated by the wizard. You just use the name you want for the indicator, and don't give it any parameters or anything in the wizard, just hit 'Generate' at the first opportunity.

HTH

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                    166 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post sidlercom80  
                    Started by thread, Yesterday, 11:58 PM
                    0 responses
                    1 view