Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Relative momentum question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relative momentum question

I'm new to NT, and wondering whether the following sort of thing can be done. I presume that, if it can be done, it will require custom programming by me -- that's not a problem.

What I want to do is take a user-supplied list of symbols, some parameters to control a momentum calculation, and return a list of the symbols, ordered by the momentum calculation. The list order will (obviously) change as momentum changes, so needs to be calculated for any particular day I want.

The idea is to use this as the underpinnings of a sector or an asset allocation rotation plan. I'd like to be able to backtest strategies, such as how well it would work if I switched into the top N securities every W weeks.

What about generating my list automatically -- say comparing all stocks that made new 52-week highs within the prior 4 weeks and then ranking those?

I have not yet read up on NT strategies, but in most cases strategies pertain to single instruments. I am looking to build a strategy that compares multiple instruments.

Assuming I am willing to do the programming, is this sort of thing doable in NT?

Thanks,
    --EV
    Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 12-31-2010, 12:14 AM.

EV, this should be doable with custom programming in C# and NinjaScript, MultiSeries scripts are supported now for indicators and strategies with NT7 - please find a link to the concept below -

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks.

I read about multi-series scripts. I have a couple of concerns, though.

One is how the user can communicate the list of symbols to compare.

A second is that I understand there are limits on how many items can be in the multi-series. How would NT feel if I tried to put up several thousand -- say to try ranking all stocks over $5/share?

A third is how the code would provide the user with the ordered list that results. (Perhaps that one will be obvious once I read about strategies?)

--EV

Comment

You will need to look into C# for those items, NinjaScript would not have methods available in this regard.

There's generally no symbol limit imposed by us, but yes several thousand might be a drain depending on the update intervals involved.

Comment

Is there any customary NT-friendly way for the user to set up a list of symbols such that the C# I write can easily get it?

Is there any customary NT way for my code to tell the user the resulting list?

Is the problem that I need to quit asking these questions for now and read about strategies first in hopes that will answer my questions?

--EV

Comment

EV, what we support is the scope of NinjaScript - what you look to do is more general C#, for this the best starting reference is MSDN and it's references...for the lists you can work for example with dictionaries.

Comment

I must not be clear -- we are not communicating. Let's let it go and I'll read up on strategies before pursuing this any further.

I understand that C# means one can do pretty much anything -- what I am trying to get my arms around is what would be most consistent with NT, and how best to make use of things NT already provides. As I said, I'll go read up on strategies and see how many questions that answers.

--EV

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by JonesJoker, 04-22-2024, 12:23 PM
              8 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post JonesJoker  
              Started by timko, Today, 06:45 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes