Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Could we please have the editor use ^S for Save?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could we please have the editor use ^S for Save?

Pretty much everything in Windows honors Ctrl+S as "Save". The NT editor does not. I learned a long tiem ago to "Save early, save often".

What I would like to see is that Ctrl+S save my work. I would like it to leave what I can see alone -- i.e. (unlike clicking on the floppy disk icon) do not close any regions I have open. It is intended to just be a quick way to have the security of my work being saved, with no intrustion on my working.

Thanks,
    EV

Hello,

Currently it uses F4. I will send this idea to development to see if that want to add this functionality. There is under control center->Tools->HotKey Manager a section for the editor however the option is not listed for the hotkey for save. Ctrl+S is already in use for Inline Syntax checking by default.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

I understand.

Perhaps we could at least add save as configurable in the hot keys manager and then I could make it be ^S if I wish.

Some hot keys are just so universal across Windows ( and beyond, in some cases) that they really should not be re-used for other purposes, especially when the original action makes sense in the environment.

Some keys that I would place in that category are ^S (save), ^C (copy), ^X (cut), ^V (paste), ^A (select all), ^Z (undo), ^Y (redo).

Also, I would think that many NinjaScript developers are used to Visual Studio, where ^S does mean save.

--EV
      Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Hello,

I understand and have sent into development.

Comment

R2 broke F4 behavior

In R1, F4 was good for regular saving your work (substitute for ^S). R2 changes the F4 behavior in a bad way. I'm sure the developers thought they were fixing a bug, but instead they created a problem.

In R1:
          • The floppy disk icon saved and collapsed the regions. That is good.
          • F4 saved, without collapsing the regions, and without changing your position. That is also good -- it gave a way to save your work any time you felt like it and go on working.

In R2, F4 still saves, but unfortunately it now also collapses the regions. IOW it behaves just like the floppy disk icon. That's a problem for us frequent savers. Every time we save now we need to navigate back to where we were working.

For example, I am editing at an expanded region at line 500 of my file. I hit F4 to do a quick save. In addition to saving, that now (as of R2) positions me at line 1 of the file, with all regions collapsed, and I have to navigate back to where I am working!

It's bad enough that the standard ^S-for-save does something else, but now the equivalent sane behavior has also been removed!

Please restore the do-not-collapse-regions, do-not-change-my-position behavior!

--EV
          Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 01-11-2011, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Given that F4 now closes everything up and moves you away from where you were editing, what is the right way to save a document, leaving me in with the same screen, and positioned at the same line, as before?

All I want to do is to save my work so far and then go back to typing. No fuss, and certainly no navigating back to where I am editing. Just leave me there.

Now that F4 no longer handles that, how am I supposed to do it?

--EV

Comment

Hello,

Checking this with development.I always compile as my save, when I do NinjaScript so I dont know if this is in fact changed in R2 since compile has always done this.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Brett:

I only go back to V7 R1, as I believe you know. At that time:
                • Compile saved, closing all regions
                • The floppy disk "Save" Icon also closed all regions
                • F4 did not close the regions -- that made it great for interim saves while you were working

Now, with R2, all three of them close the regions. What I want is some key that will do a save, but leave me working where I was before.

It was nice to have different ways to save. Sometimes I save just to get the regions closed. But not when I am just doing a quick save in the middle of working.

--EV

Comment

Hello,

Hearad back from development and this is not the case as there has been no changed in any code here in quite a long time.

Therefor there is no change here from R1 to R2.

What you might be seeing however is that Saving for strategies did not collapse or move. However saving for indicator files always have.

This is a limitation currently and is how it is for the time being.

Thank you.

Comment

Regardless of what your developers say, that is NOT how it was in R1. F4 behavior very definitely did change between R1 and R2.

When I first asked about ^S, you suggested using F4. I paid attention to you, and did so. I was very happy to see that it did not collapse my work. Strategies is not the issue -- the only thing I have edited is indicators -- I have not gotten to looking at strategies yet.

I presume that the R1 behavior is reproducible, and not something to do with my specific machine. Assuming that, if you still have an R1 machine around, go give it a try and you'll see what I mean. I'm tempted to reload R1 just to get that behavior back again.

What your conversation with your developers tells me is that the change to F4 behavior was probably the unintended side effect of something else they did, not something conscious.

At any rate, please put in a request for some hot key to save my editing work without losing my place. For those of us that are used to saving often, the idea that after every save we have to navigate back to where we were working just doesn't cut it.

I actually liked that there were two ways to save -- one collapsed regions (the floppy disk icon) and the other did not (F4). Sometimes I wanted one, and sometimes I wanted the other. I would really like that behavior available again somehow.

--EV

Comment

Hello,

I just installed and tested this on R1 on a completely seperate computer. This statement is incorrect. Behavior is the same in R1.

Also, your suggestion has already been forwarded.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to try it.

Now I wonder why it worked that way on my machine. I guarantee that it did. What could the difference be?

I tried to download R1 to try it again, but can't because of the newer release. I was afraid to uninstall and risk losing my work and settings.

I may go back and try that again just to see what happens.

--EV

Comment

Hello,

Suggest going back on another PC then. Just to prevent any "issues" with updated data and older files. Moving backwords is really only supported with a fresh reload.

No reason that I can think of it would be different other then you where saving a strategy not an indicator.

Comment

Brett,

Just to update you.

I did go back to R1, and it behaved as you say.

I am completely puzzled. I remember being surprised to discover the "good" F4 behavior, because I would expect all routes to the save functionality to call the same function in the end. The different behavior was a pleasant surprise.

No, it was not related to strategies -- I've not touched strategies.

I'm coming back to R2 now ... I guess it is just going to remain one of life's little mysteries.

--EV

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by RookieTrader, Today, 07:41 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                            Started by kujista, Today, 05:44 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes