Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

BarColorSeries & CandleOutlineColorSeries timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

BarColor Transparency is set to change the colors of the bar data it runs on. Does not matter what panel it is in, will always effect the data series bars.

You would need to add code to to change the BarColor is it is running in panel 1. Unforutnaley such code access is unsupported. Suggest adding a seperate user selecteable flag for the user to enable and disable it this way.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

We are somehow not communicating. I do not understand your point, but it sounds unrelated to my issue. When the indicator is running in the panel, it will be set that transparency is not needed, and BarColor will not be set.

My problem is that if I get in the situation because I create it live, everything works fine. If I get in what should be the identical situation (save as template, restore from that template) the thing do NOT work. There should be no difference in those two scenarios, but there is.

My question is what is different about loading from a template? It acts as if the system has forgotten the user's colors and thinks they are either empty or transparent.

I saw something earlier that did not register at the time -- I'll go back and check it. It looked as if, in the reload case, the system thinks the user colors are all Color.Empty instead of red, green, and black.

--EV

Comment

OK -- I just went back and tried what I remembered. I could produce the problem.

Then I saved the template again, with the code as it is now. That works just fine.

I now understand what was happening, and there was no way to fix it short of changing how I was doing things. Since I am now doing things the "modern" way and since there is no longer a problem, I'm happy.

I'll do a bit more testing to confirm, but unless I get back to you, converting to use BarColor has made the problem go away.

--EV
        Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 01-13-2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

OK -- I have done the further testing I mentioned, and using
          Code:
           if (bNeedsTransparency) BarColor = Color.Transparent;
          in OnBarUpdate() did not solve the problem. It made the candlestick bodies go away, but it failed to take care of the wicks / shadows.

The Help documentation says:
          If you set the BarColor property and the CandleOutlineColor property is not set, the outline color will take the color set by the BarColor property.
          Just for grins I added setting the CandleOutlineColor property explicitly and my problem went away.

Looks like either the Help page for CandleOutlineColor is wrong, or else the system code has a bug. Take your pick, but as far as I can see, one or the other needs fixing.

--EV
          Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 01-15-2011, 06:22 PM.

Comment

ETFVoyageur, thank you for your additional research into this issue. I will look into it and let you know what I discover.
            AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello there, I have confirmed the behavior you're seeing. However, I am wondering where you see the candle outline discrepancy in the help guide. Can you please provide a link?

From the NT7 candle outline color page:
              * If you set the BarColor property and the CandleOutlineColor property is not set, the outline color will take the color set by the BarColor property.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Austin View Post
                Hello there, I have confirmed the behavior you're seeing. However, I am wondering where you see the candle outline discrepancy in the help guide. Can you please provide a link?

From the NT7 candle outline color page:
                * If you set the BarColor property and the CandleOutlineColor property is not set, the outline color will take the color set by the BarColor property.
                I do not understand your question. Your message included the correct quote. It says that if you do not set CandleOutlineColor, then CandleOutlineColor will take on the value of BarColor. That is not correct -- you must explicitly set CandleOutlineColor.

--EV

Comment

ETF, please take a look at this screenshot. The bar color is set to blue, and the candle outline is also blue. However, the candle wick is still black. If you'd like to set the wick to be blue too, you'll have to set CandleOutlineColor to blue, which also sets the wick.
                  Attached Files

Comment

We are seeing the same thing. The wicks were the problem that I ran into. And it does not make sense to me.
                    • BarColor and CandleOutlineColor are the only players. There is no third property covering the wick, so I would expect CandleOutlineColor to do so. As your testing shows, it fails to do that in the default case.

• When you explictly set CandleOutlineColor, it does color the wick.

So the bottom line is that CandleOutlineColor controls the wick color if CandleOutlineColor is explicitly set, but not if it is defaulted. Now I ask you, how much sense does that make?

--EV

Comment

Hi EV, I looked into and as Austin also found, I can confirm it's working as outlined in the helpguide -

1. If you only set BarColor, the wicks are colored in the defaults set in the Data Series UI

2. If you want to custom set the wick color, please use the CandleOutlineColor property to do so.
                      BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                        Hi EV, I looked into and as Austin also found, I can confirm it's working as outlined in the helpguide -

1. If you only set BarColor, the wicks are colored in the defaults set in the Data Series UI

2. If you want to custom set the wick color, please use the CandleOutlineColor property to do so.
                        Bertram,

I do not understand.
                        • The Help information says that CandleOutlineColor will use BarColor when CandleOutlineColor is not set (not the DataSeries colors)

• CandleOutlineColor obviously does control both the outline of the body and the wicks, because when you set it explicitly they both get handled.

• When you let it default, it does handle the outline of the body correctly (uses the BarColor color), but fails to handle the wicks.

Why should what the CandleOutlineColor controls depend on whether the color is set by default, or set explicitly? That makes no sense to me. It appears that there is a bug in that CandleOutlineColor fails to control the wicks if, and only if, it gets its color by default.

--EV

Comment

Thanks for clarifying EV, I'll check with development into if this is expected or not.
                          BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Max238
                          by Max238

Started by timko, Today, 06:45 AM
                          2 responses