Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Mini Data Box bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Data Box bug

When I middle-mouse and bring up the min data box, it looks good. When I hold middle down and move the mouse sideways to a new bar, the box updates. Also good.

However, when I hold the mouse still and use the scroll wheel to slide the chart sideways, the mini box does not update. Button is still down, because if I move the mouse sideways, then the mini box will update. This is wrong -- the mini box should always reflect what is under the cursor.

I presume this is easily reproducible -- just click down on your scroll wheel, and while down rotate the scroll wheel.

--EV

ETFVoyageur, I was able to reproduce this but I'm not sure it is actually a bug. I will forward my findings to development and see what they have to say. As a quick workaround, you can middle-click the mouse wheel and then press the arrow keys left and right, which has the same effect as moving the mouse wheel, and the box will update.
    AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Austin View Post
      ETFVoyageur, I was able to reproduce this but I'm not sure it is actually a bug. I will forward my findings to development and see what they have to say.
      I do not understand your point of view. I do not understand how it could fail to be a bug.

At least in my eyes, if the cursor is over the chart, and one of the data boxes is showing -- either the full-sized one or the mini one -- they had better be showing the data that is under the cursor. Any failure to can be quite misleading , and is definitely a bug.

I can think of no excuse for the data presentation to sometimes track the mouse and sometimes not. Failure to accurately track the mouse is, at least to me always a bug.

--EV

Comment

ETFVoyageur, the mouse isn't actually moving when you scroll to change the chart, and that could be why the mouse/data box doesn't update. It is definitely unexpected behavior and we'll have a response for you early this week.

Comment

ETFVoyageur, the mouse isn't actually moving when you scroll to change the chart, and that could be why the mouse/data box doesn't update. It is definitely unexpected behavior and we'll have a response for you early this week.
          This response, if true, would mean that, at first blush you are tracking the absolute position of the mouse, independently of its relative position to the chart. No?

Comment

Sorry? It simply means that the mini data box isn't updating off a mouse scroll action. Development will take a look and see if there is any possibility in adding that feature to the mini data box.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ALL motion is relative

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
              Sorry? It simply means that the mini data box isn't updating off a mouse scroll action. Development will take a look and see if there is any possibility in adding that feature to the mini data box.
              Not to quibble, but that is the observation, not the meaning.

You stated quite clearly that: "the mouse isn't actually moving when you scroll to change the chart, ...". All motion is relative. Yes, the mouse is not moving relative to the screen; it is moving relative to the chart, obviously. So the lack of response to the apparent motion, points to what motion is being processed. I was simply pointing that out.

No matter. I probably should not even have bothered to comment.

Comment

Hi ETFVoyageur!

The bug you reported is fixed, and the fix will be available with the next update of NinjaTrader. Thanks for reporting.

Kind regards,
                Christian
                ChristianSenior Software Developer

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, and thanks for letting me know the outcome.

--EV

Comment

I can't always get the mini data box to open when I click the middle mouse button.

I've got multiple charts with different time frames open and a few different instruments.

I have reviewed the threads out there but can't seem to figure it out...

Is the cursor better than the pointer or global cross hair?
                    Last edited by ij001; 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM.

Comment

ij001, can you reproduce this issue? Some mouse wheels have a hard time "clicking", could that be the issue?

Comment

It's random right now. I am using a Microsoft Comfort Optical 3000 at present. I will test with another mouse tomorrow. Is there a way in NT to make it a shortcut key instead in the time being?

Comment

Unfortunately there are no hotkeys for this. This action is click and hold and not just click. Are you holding the mouse wheel down as you try to view the minibox?

If you are not able to get it to work consistently, you could use the main data box. It is pretty much exactly the same, except it stays open while you move the cursor around. You can open it by clicking the "show data box" button in between the cursor button and the chart trader button.

Comment

Unfortunately there are no hotkeys for this. This action is click and hold and not just click. Are you holding the mouse wheel down as you try to view the minibox?

If you are not able to get it to work consistently, you could use the main data box. It is pretty much exactly the same, except it stays open while you move the cursor around. You can open it by clicking the "show data box" button in between the cursor button and the chart trader button.
                            I do click and hold. I'm hoping another mouse will be more consistent.

I moved to the Mini data box b/c I am having a problem with the main data box when I have multiple charts up with different instruments.

That is, if one chart with one instrument is opened the main data box works fine when I try to find various highs and lows, etc. However if I quickly jump to another chart with another instrument the data box gets stuck at the first time interval I moved to.

I'm not sure why. Ideas?

Comment

If the main data box issue is reproducible, please let us know. That behavior is unexpected, and I'd like to test it out.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Gerik, Today, 09:40 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                              Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes