Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Request for Divergent Bar Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for Divergent Bar Indicator

I have an indicator request. Something that I think a lot of NT users would find very useful. Bill Williams looks for what he calls a Bullish or Bearish Divergence Bar to signal a possible reversal in trend.

It is pretty straight forward. To quote Bill: "A bullish divergence bar is a bar that has a lower low and closes in the top half of the bar. A bearish divergence bar is the just the opposite. It is a bar that has a higher high and closes in the lower half of the bar." (Trading Chaos 2nd edition; Page 110).

Its purpose is to give you a heads up that a strong trend move may be ready to turn around. On a bullish divergence bar a buy stop is placed just above the bullish divergent bar and on a bearish divergence bar a sell stop is placed just below the bottom of the bearish divergence bar. If the market reverses, you're in.

Of course, not all trends reversals have a Divergent Bar trumpeting the change. But, it occurs quite often. I have been eyeballing them, but honestly, I miss a lot of them (until after the move).

Is there someone willing to write this for the community.

All the best,

Bryan

Divergence Bar

Hope this helps

Pat
    Attached Files

Comment

I made alterations to this indicator, and I believe I fixed some problems with it. Feel free to enjoy or criticize!
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Marketguy, Apat1 and sbgtrading.

Aren't there too many of such divergence bars with indicator. Marketguy is that what you are expecting? Can you or anyone post a chart with its intended usage.

Thanks
        RK

Comment

Div Bars Solution

Well, thanks to all. Yeah, it does give a lot of dots. With the rules as stated there are far more dots than I expected. When we are in a definite upward trend, bullish Div dots are clearly not needed or desired. Only bearish signals need be considered of interest. I don't know if there is any way to specify that. Vice versa for bullish signals.

Bill Williams only cares about Divergent Bars in a momentum move as a sign of a possible change in sentiment. Maybe some kind of cross of a moving average would do the trick. Here is Bill William's rule for a trend. Long:5 SMA crosses above a 5 Smoothed Moving Average offset 3 bars into the future (that's the green line in his Alligator). Short: 5SMA below the 5 Smoothed MA.

So, if we only got a bearish Div Bar in an uptrend and bullish Div Bars in a downtrend, that would dramatically improve the indicator.

Divergent Bars used properly can really help you see a change in sentiment.

Thanks,

B

Comment

Hi Anyone has the latest version of this indi for NT7 i have pasted the formulas link for motivewave hope it helps

MotiveWave's Trading Software is broker-neutral and equips active and professional traders with a leading edge trading platform for analysis of stocks, equities, futures and forex.

MotiveWave's Trading Software is broker-neutral and equips active and professional traders with a leading edge trading platform for analysis of stocks, equities, futures and forex.

thanks in advance
            Last edited by maxtravis; 02-02-2014, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Hi any update on this ??

Originally posted by maxtravis View Post
              Hi Anyone has the latest version of this indi for NT7 i have pasted the formulas link for motivewave hope it helps

thanks in advance

Comment

Seniors Any Update on this

Comment

Can anyone convert the divergent bar indi to NT8 please.

Comment

Hello dstewart12,

Thank you for your post.

Usually we don't do conversion requests, but this was just a few lines of code so I've gone ahead and converted this to NinjaTrader 8 as a courtesy. I've posted this on your other thread as well.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
                    Attached Files
                    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post bmartz
                    by bmartz

Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM