Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy Wizard for Coding Indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Wizard for Coding Indicators

The NT strategy wizard seems to have more features and capabilities than the indicator wizard. Unless one knows programming, the indicator wizard is not really a big help. However, creating a simple strategy requires little knowledge of programming. Can one use the Strategy Wizard to develop indicators and how?

Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for the forum post

This is correct there is no indicator design wizard and must be done through NinjaScript only unfortunately.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Thanks Brett,

Well, I know that much already. My question is: Can I use Strategy Wizard to develope an indicator? For example, a strategy that will draw an arrow when two moving averages cross. Having done this, can I convert the strategy code into an indicator that simply when attached to the chart would draw the arrow without having to run the strategy? This is my question.

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

You cannot use the strategy wizard to build indicators. There is no wizards available for the creation of an indicator it must be done through NinjaScript.

Comment

Originally posted by aligator View Post
          Thanks Brett,

Well, I know that much already. My question is: Can I use Strategy Wizard to develope an indicator? For example, a strategy that will draw an arrow when two moving averages cross. Having done this, can I convert the strategy code into an indicator that simply when attached to the chart would draw the arrow without having to run the strategy? This is my question.

Thanks
          Actually, you can, in many cases, as a lot of the commands are common between strategies and indicators. However, you will have to cut-and-paste the code from the strategy into the indicator. In the particular case that you cite, yes, you absolutely can. Just use the strategy wizard to write your crossover condition, then cut-and-paste it into your indicator.

In fact, in many cases, I find it the quickest way to get code, when I do not want to dig through the help file. It is a really handy quick and dirty way to get code snippets. Remember that in this case, you are just generating snippets, so the strategy does not even have to make sense. Just generate the action for drawing an arrow after a crossover action, then copy the code by showing it in the editor, with the appropriate button from the wizard screen.

Not all code can be generated this way, and obviously commands specific to strategies only, (for example, those that generate orders), will not work in indicators. If that is the case, the compiler will usually let you know.
          Last edited by koganam; 04-04-2011, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Interesting thread.

I have thought myself what is the difference.

A question I have is that you can not load a strategy if Chart Trader is active, which is (sort of) understandable but what if you just want to generate signals and trade from the chart manually?

If this is technically possible could there not be a switch to allow.

Thanks

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by saintalan View Post
              Interesting thread.

I have thought myself what is the difference.

A question I have is that you can not load a strategy if Chart Trader is active, which is (sort of) understandable but what if you just want to generate signals and trade from the chart manually?

If this is technically possible could there not be a switch to allow.

Thanks

Alan
              In that case, I turn the strategy into an indicator, and where the strategy generated orders, I substitute drawing arrows or triangles. Actually, in many cases the strategy was making the drawings anyway, so I just have to comment out the trade order commands.
              Last edited by koganam; 04-04-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks Koganam.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Waxavi
                by Waxavi

Started by TradeForge, Today, 02:09 AM