Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Export compiled assembly that uses other indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export compiled assembly that uses other indicators

I wrote an indicator that uses other indicators. I'd like to export my indicator as a compiled assembly. It seems I have no choice but to include the other indicators I use. Is this correct?

The problem is the users may already have these other indicators installed on their system and this could cause a conflict, especially if those indicators read & write files.

Is there another alternative here? What I'd like to do is say my indicator requires X,Y,Z and it's up to the other to have them installed. I do not wish to distribute others' indicators.

cunparis, correct you would unfortunately need to include them - to not run into issues providing duplicate method that would produce issues on importing the assembly, please ensure you're methods are unique or directly run as private methods in the final used indicator for example. If you other references installed, please also ensure to remove them before exporting your 3rd party assembly.

Thanks,
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Bertrand, I'm afraid I don't understand your email. I just did a test and when I import my assembly I get an error message about duplicate method names. Can you elaborate on what I can do to avoid this?

Thanks

Comment

As an example, I subclass one of these indicators.

Comment

If you import your assembly, are the open sources then still installed on the PC? This is why you get a 'duplicate' warning - the method is available as source and from the compiled assembly, the source needs to removed prior to attempting to import the assembly.

Comment

Yes the sources are still installed.

Let's say my indicator uses Indicator X.

If I understand correctly:

- I must include indicator X in my protected assembly
            - Indicator X cannot exist in source form

This means that whoever wants to use my assembly must delete Indicator X.cs, import my assembly, and then use my version of Indicator X in my assembly?

This is a very serious constraint because other users may want/need to use a different version of Indicator X. It would mean that every time Indicator X is updated (a new version is released), I'd have to make a new release of my indicator. It'd be hard for me to keep up with this, especially if there are several Indicators (X,Y,Z).

What are the alternatives? One alternative I can think of is I copy indicator X and rename it so that it doesn't conflict with the real Indicator X. Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks

Comment

Your understanding is correct, the installed sources are giving you the conflict here then - the alternative and workaround is offer own uniquely named versions of indicators x y z

Comment

Thanks Bertrand for the prompt feedback. I appreciate your help. I use a few indicators which in turn use others so this will end up being about 8 indicators that have to be uniquely named. A bit of work. I will try it and see if users accept the limitations.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post arvidvanstaey  
                Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
                16 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post samish18