Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

OHLC, but on pit trading, not all hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OHLC, but on pit trading, not all hours

hi,

I have the OHLC plotted on my charts but the the figures are based on the globex session too, I want to get the figures for CL 9am - 14:30pm EST.

I know I can turn off the 24/7 inside the Data Series Preferences, but this doesn´t help me because I do want to see the candles from 24/7.

Bit surprised the PriorDayOHLC indicator doesn´t allow you to chose a specific trading period ! Anyone know of one that does ?

(need the same for the CurrentDayOHL).

Any ideas ?

Hi ScottieDog, correct they would be tied to whatever session definitions you're using - you could custom code to get the needed values from a ETH chart, for example a sample to get you started is located here -

Thanks,
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

i´ll be honest, i have no idea about this coding.

I was sort of hoping something was already done.. haha. I am quite surprised that its not a feature to be able to select OHLC for a trading session by pit time (yet still have the out of hours charted).

I looked at the link you sent, and have no idea what to do, amend.

Comment

Scottie, thanks for the kind suggestion to further enhance NinjaTrader - your feedback has been added to our list and is tracked under # 901.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Pit hours

Hi Bertrand, I was wondering if anything had been done on this issue? I agree with Scottie that it would be very useful if this was a standard feature as the pit session high low and previous day high and low is more important to most people than the 24/7 high low.

In the interim is there a workaround? I am grappling with how to modify the samplegethighlowbytimeframe indicator so it can also access the previous day from 13.30 to say 4.30am on the current day?

Thanks in advance
          DJ

Comment

Pit hours

Same problem for me. It would be great if users can specify times/session template in PriorDayOHLC indicator.

Any update on the issue?

Comment

atrader123,

Unfortunately there is no update on this. It is not a feature of the default NT system indicators. Should you want this done professionally at this point in time you may want to consider trying one of these 3rd party developers http://www.ninjatrader.com/partners#...pt-Consultants or you can try asking around the community to see if anyone can help modify the indicator to do what you want it to do.
              Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Is this really so difficult that Ninja techs can´t just do it?

I´m not being funny but this really should be high on the list of fixes.. I don´t think its an enhancement, I think it´s a "fix" for an indicator that is flawed.

I actually paid someone to make the changes but they screwed it up and its not working properly. Sick of spending money on something that should just work as standard.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottieDog View Post
                  hi,

Bit surprised the PriorDayOHLC indicator doesn´t allow you to chose a specific trading period ! Anyone know of one that does ?

(need the same for the CurrentDayOHL).

Any ideas ?
                  Hi Scottie,

you can use the anaPivotsDailyV41 indicator. It is part of the SessionPivots to which I have referred in the other post. This indicator displays the HLC of the prior day (it does not have the open). You can display HLC

- either ETH or RTH
                  - for futures you can select between using the settlement price or the close (last traded price)

For obtaining the settlement price for futures, you need a daily data feed - such as Kinetick EOD - that shows the settlement price, as the indicator has an option to use the daily close instread of the session close

If you wish to display the regular session HLC of the prior day, you need to use a multi-session session template. If you just want to display HLC as published by the exchange, then the simple ETH session template will do.

Attached are two screenshots from ES yesterday. The first one shows the regular session high and low in combination with the settlement price. The second one shows the electronic session high and low in combination with the settlement price. Of course you can also display the last traded price in lieu of the settlement.

Bonus: The indicator will correctly display the high, low and close for double day sessions such as Martin-Luther.King Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, etc. for all CME and NYMEX traded instruments.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Candles for CL

Just a note on candles for CL:

Trying to display candles for CL with a session template 24/7 looks a bit too creative.

- The contractual trading times for CL are 6:00 PM EST to 5:15 EST
                    - Margin calculations and settlement are done relative to that trading day

So for CL you should either use a session template as comes with NinjaTrader (NYMEX Energy/Metals ETH), or you can subdivide that session template into three sessions. Using 24/7 does not make sense. By the way nobody else uses a template 24/7.

- The OHLC published by the exchange references the contractual trading day, that is from 6:00 PM ETH to 5:15 PM ETH.
                    - Data suppliers such as E-Signal, DTN/IQ or other brokers supply those same prices.

If you want to catch the regular session high and low with all bar types then you would need an indicator

- which either relies on a session template to isolate the regular session (cutting off the bars at the start and the end of the regular session)
                    - or which loads a secondary bar series of 1-minute data (more complex endeavour to code it, I have done one of these, the openingRangeMTF which works on tick data as well, without using a session template)

Best practice is to use NinjaTrader in a way that

-> you use the appropriate session template for each instrument (create it if it does not exist) and select that template under instrument settings
                    -> you open all your charts with instrument settings only

That way you will always use the correct contractual trading times for each instrument and you will have correct OHLC values on your chart.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post DJ888
                    by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes