Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Upgrading an Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading an Indicator

Can I verify the process of upgrading an indicator? If we ship out an exported indicator as a zip (through NinjaTrader's export process), when we need to release an update, can the end-user simply import the new indicator? Or does he or she need to remove the other one first? Or can the DLL simply be replaced?

Thanks!
    Michael

Hi Michael,

If the name is exactly the same, then you are prompted to overwrite existing files with the same name. If the name is different, then you should instruct the user to delete first so there are not any namespace conflicts.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi! I finally got around to trying this. If I export the indicator out using the exact same name (but changing the version number), when I send this to a friend, when he imports the zip, it fails. You get the normal warning message at first, but then the indicator gets this message:

Import failed. The NinjaScript Archive File may contain duplicate method names that already exist on your PC or there is a required file missing on either your PC or in the import file.
      This fails from a cold start where no connection has been made yet.

Shouldn't this simply upgrade and replace the files? As you can imagine, if the indicator is used in a number of charts, it is a pain to remove or rem out all references before upgrading.

Thanks for your help!
      Michael

Comment

Hi Michael,

If it's an assembly you're exporting, then you should make sure the importing PC does not also have the source files. If you want to see the exact cause of the programming conflict, manually place the dll in My Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\custom and add the reference through the NS editor Right Click > References screen.

When you attempt to compile, it will list the specific errors raised.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I will try this. However, the only code that I am shipping is what is created in the ZIP file. No source code is distributed.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Haiasi, Today, 06:53 PM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
          Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred