Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Midpoint dot for previous candle???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midpoint dot for previous candle???

Does anyone know of an available indicator for NT7 that would paint, with a dot, the midpoint of the previous candle?

Thanks.

Have you tried setting up for example an SMA with Length 1, input series using the MedianPrice and it's plotstyle set to dot?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Excellent idea Bertrand. Thanks.

However, my dots seem to end up behind the candle bodies. And they only show on the wicks.

Comment

You're welcome, you can change the so called ZOrder of your chart objects to bring the dots now for example in front of the price data - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ng_a_chart.htm
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Perfect! Thanks again Bertrand.

Comment

Bertrand, I'm looking to do the same but I know that Median price is different from Midpoint, cause median is = (high+low)/2 and midpoint is =(bid+ask)/2

I'd need that Midpoint for other indicators but still I'm struggling to code an indicator with that capability

Comment

Originally posted by pstrusi View Post
              Bertrand, I'm looking to do the same but I know that Median price is different from Midpoint, cause median is = (high+low)/2 and midpoint is =(bid+ask)/2

I'd need that Midpoint for other indicators but still I'm struggling to code an indicator with that capability
              Historical bid/ask prices are not accessible in NT as it ships. If you insist on being able to access such data, you are going to have to get the Gom recorder. Search the forum for it.

As an aside, I have never seen the need for using bid/ask data. The market is so imprecise that I fail to see how such precision is of any use. Then again, I only trade instruments which have a bid/ask spread of 1 tick, so there is nothing to think about anyway. I would suggest (humbly, and I mean that ), that if you are trading instruments with bid/ask spreads wide enough for the mid-point to matter, maybe you should question yourself as to why you are trading in such a disadvantageous instrument.

It is hard enough to make money in this market. Why start by handicapping yourself in such a manner that you have such a hurdle to climb just to break even, before you can start making a profit?

Comment

Thanks for your tip and your concern.

NT to me is a very powerful and flexible platform, seeing its database, programing..etc is very hard to me to believe that NT isn't capable to hold a simple bid/ask data series.

I'll be searching for that software in the forum

Comment

Originally posted by pstrusi View Post
                  Thanks for your tip and your concern.

NT to me is a very powerful and flexible platform, seeing its database, programing..etc is very hard to me to believe that NT isn't capable to hold a simple bid/ask data series.

I'll be searching for that software in the forum
                  NT can hold a bid/ask DataSeries, but only in realTime, because the bid/ask data is not accessible on historical data.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
                    NT can hold a bid/ask DataSeries, but only in realTime, because the bid/ask data is not accessible on historical data.
                    Koganan,

1. What's the difference between "holding a data series bid/ask in real time" which is accessible and the historical one? which is saved anyway.

2. If historical bid/ask data is not accessible, how could Gom recorder have Midpoint in its capabilities?

3. How the bid/ask data is not accessible, when you can see in the NT database is perfectly saved and available?

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to understand and solve this simple issue

Comment

pstrusi,

New to NT7 is historical bid/ask series. You have to use the Add() method to use it in an indicator or strategy. That said, it's not as straight forward as you might think using them in an indicator. They are not automatically synced with the price data, since the bid/ask changes much more frequently than the price does. In addition, the bid and ask are not even synced to each other since in a real time situation, neither one's movement is dependant on the other.

For example, you mention using the "midpoint" of bid/ask, at what point do you determine this? That calculation can change an unlimited amount of time over the course of a single bar. Even if you are to decide to use the bid/ask at the "close of the bar", since they are independent data sets you can't consistently sync them. If for no other reason than the last trade of a bar may simultaneously change the bid or ask price.

As for the Gom recorder, it works by recording the real time bid/ask data as it's received and then stores it.

I agree with koganam, that with liquid instruments, they will generally have a very small bid/ask spread, and I'm not sure you would gain much even if you could sync everything perfectly.

VT

Comment

VTtrader and Koganan, finally I finished my calculation for historical midpoint series, as you can see in the following post it could be solved in a very simple easy way.

Thanks for your tips regarding this issue

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Mongo, Today, 11:05 AM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Mongo
                        by Mongo

Started by guillembm, Today, 11:25 AM
                        0 responses