Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Public DataSeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public DataSeries

I am not certain if this is the desired behavior or if maybe an error should be happened...

But in the following situation.

2 Indicators with different names yet the same public parameter DataSeries Plots...Such as

Indicator(param1,param2).PublicDataSeres
    Indicator2(param3,param4).PublicDataSeries

If the public dataseries name is the same for both it seems that one dataseries is able to read from the other indicator and vice versa. Now i can see where this is needed as i do this all the time. Now what i didnt realize(and maybe should have) is that when i duplicated the indicator2 that had the same public parameter (Exact spelling, etc) that it can be Set. to the value of the other indicator. I discovered this on accident as i deleted out the parameter in one indicator and noticed it somehow was compiling as i had deleted the parameter out of the code i was looking at yet it would still compile.

Another way to put it is that if you have a public dataseries with one name in one indicator it can be Set to a value from within another indicator. I doubt this is desired behavior as i have no clue which indicators would achieve Set status and which would be ignored.

I can avoid this issue in the future with naming, i just thought it could cause some major mistakes for people if they do not realize its happening.

BK
    Last edited by neb1998; 06-21-2011, 11:59 PM.

Ben, thanks for the heads up. Are you using both indicators on the same chart at the same time, in the same strategy? Or does this happen across charts?
    AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Well at the moment i am running them in an optimization. But yes they would be on a chart at the same time at some point. I sometimes create indicators that do not have much of a chart presence....Meaning the visual information they provide is not as important as the mathematical information. This tends to fall into that category.

Comment

Thanks Ben, I doubt that this is possible with our supported concepts of exposing a public property of the internal dataseries objects as outlined in the sample. Would you have an indicator code I could look into and test with on my end that show this 'feature'? If you don't like to post / share it here you can always contact me at support at ninjatrader dot com directly.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post RookieTrader  
        Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
        1 response
        0 likes