Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Pivot Moving Average ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pivot Moving Average ?

I came across a thread in the ' Indicator Development' section about this issue of a pivot point moving average but never a resolution. I have zero ability as a programmer...I've spent countless hours trying to construct this indicator but have failed over and over again. Ninja support directed me to the tutorials but I've had no luck. Would some kind expert out there help me please?

For custom coding you can try contacting one of our NinjaScript Consultants here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/pa...injaScript.htm
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Josh for your reply.

Comment

setup pivot point moving average

NT already has pivot point moving average implemented. Under Parameters-> Price Type change it to Typical. This will calculate the moving average using (H+L+C) / 3.

Comment

(H+L+C) / 3 is not a pivot point if it is calculated on every bar.
          eDanny
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Edit: Not worth the effort.
            eDanny
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Pivot point moving average as explained by John Person in his book, Candlestick and Pivot Point Trading Triggers,
              In his first book, A Complete Guide to Technical Trading Tactics, John Person introduced traders to the concept of integrating candlestick charting with pivot point analysis. Now, in Candlestick and Pivot Point Trading Triggers, he goes a step further and shows you how to devise your own setups and triggers—in the stock, forex, and futures markets—based on a moving average approach. Note: Website and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.

couple days ago, I wanted to use it in NT, but couldn't find it easily. Then, I searched the forum and saw several people were looking for the same. Finally, I found it hidden under Price Type, so I simply want to let others know where to find it.

I agree there is a difference between pivot point and pivot point moving average. It depends on which ones that you want to use.

Thanks

Originally posted by eDanny View Post
              (H+L+C) / 3 is not a pivot point if it is calculated on every bar.

Comment

Has this been removed in NT7? I can't find it...

Comment

claxxical, can you please clarify what you mean by "this"? There is a standard pivot indicator built into NT7.
                  AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Sorry, the pivot point moving average.

Comment

claxxical, it was never really present in NinjaTrader. The methods posted here in this thread are a type of workaround. I just changed the Pivot Point input to Typical, and the pivots did not change. The standard NinjaTrader Pivot indicator uses daily highs, lows, and closes to come up with the pivots, so just as eDanny said in post #5, if you used (H + L + C) / 3 for the "pivots" on every bar, it wouldn't be a bit.
                      AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I don't understand what you're saying...this thread is titled "Pivot Moving Average". in NT 6.5, when you used an SMA indicator, you had an option to change the price type from "Close" to "Typical" which is the Pivot (H + L + C)/3, as is discussed in this entire thread. In NT7, I no longer see that option in the SMA indicator.

Comment

Nevermind, I found it, you can select typical in the "Input series" parameter under SMA.

Comment

Even though the title of the thread clearly said " Pivot Moving Average," people keep on mistaken it for floor trader pivots (PP, R1, R2, R3, S1, S2, S3). In an earlier post, I cited John Person's book and explain that a "moving average" is what we discussed here. Some just won't accept it. Don't know what else to do ... LOL

Originally posted by claxxical View Post
                            I don't understand what you're saying...this thread is titled "Pivot Moving Average". in NT 6.5, when you used an SMA indicator, you had an option to change the price type from "Close" to "Typical" which is the Pivot (H + L + C)/3, as is discussed in this entire thread. In NT7, I no longer see that option in the SMA indicator.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by trimpy, Today, 04:38 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                            Started by dpolyakov, 03-29-2024, 11:30 AM
                            4 responses
                            2 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_RyanS