Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Swing indicator issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing indicator issue

When using the swing indicator inside my own customer indicator, it seems there maybe an issue. I am using a swing strength of 10, yet the indicator identifies a point with a strength of only 7. This took me a while to determine what the issue was, but it seems that the indicator is counting the bars that are not there because the trading session was not active. For instance, on CME 6C future, Swing identifies a low peak of strength 10 at the 17:15 bar on 12/20/2011. However, there have actually only been 7 bars to the left on which this bar is lower than. It appears that the indicator is counting the 4 bars (16:15, 16:30, 16:45, and 17:00 ) that are not part of the trading session for its strength count. I tested and the indicator identifies this bar as a strength 11 (7 + 4 missing bars).

While this is not that big of a deal because of the rarity of the situation (Although i assume on 5min / 1min charts this would happen more often), it would be appreciate if this could be fixed as a workaround seems quite troublesome to make it fit across multiple timeframes.

Thanks,

Mark

Originally posted by hamburglergt View Post
    When using the swing indicator inside my own customer indicator, it seems there maybe an issue. I am using a swing strength of 10, yet the indicator identifies a point with a strength of only 7. This took me a while to determine what the issue was, but it seems that the indicator is counting the bars that are not there because the trading session was not active. For instance, on CME 6C future, Swing identifies a low peak of strength 10 at the 17:15 bar on 12/20/2011. However, there have actually only been 7 bars to the left on which this bar is lower than. It appears that the indicator is counting the 4 bars (16:15, 16:30, 16:45, and 17:00 ) that are not part of the trading session for its strength count. I tested and the indicator identifies this bar as a strength 11 (7 + 4 missing bars).

While this is not that big of a deal because of the rarity of the situation (Although i assume on 5min / 1min charts this would happen more often), it would be appreciate if this could be fixed as a workaround seems quite troublesome to make it fit across multiple timeframes.

Thanks,

Mark
    What session template are you using?

Comment

I am using the "Use instrument settings" one, however I have tried switching it to CME FX Futures ETH w/ no luck either.

Comment

hamburgler,

Swing is an indicator that may change values in the past on historical information as it identifies new swings as more data become available, as such it may show some inconsistent behavior when used in a strategy as its meant only for discretionary use.

In general when debugging it is advisable to make liberal use of print statements to check to see values and logic is as you expect.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_AdamP; 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM.
        Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Adam,

It does not seem like you actually read my post? I understand that it repaints, however the issue at hand is that the indicator is taking into account bars that do not actually exists. The left hand strength of the specific swing point mentioned is taking into account 4 non-existing bars, presumably because the trading session is not active for 4 bars (on a 15 min chart). Let me know if this is still unclear.

Mark

Comment

hamburgler,

Unfortunately this would potentially be expected behavior of the swing indicator. Its not advised to use it for automated trading as it was only designed for discretionary trading using as an indicator while charting.

You could try to find a different style of swing indicator to use, or design one to your own specifications.
            Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by yertle, Today, 08:38 AM
            6 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post ryjoga
            by ryjoga

Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
            2 responses