Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Indicator Values changes in Market Analyzer vs Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator Values changes in Market Analyzer vs Chart

Hi,

I have developed an indicator that requires 30 monthly bars worth of daily data to work so I can add a data series of 1000 daily bars to get results.

When I add the indicator to a daily chart with 1000 bars, it works fine and I get the value plotted back. However, when I add the same indicator with the same exact setup into Market Analyzer, I don't get any results back (zeroes plotted throughout). Interestingly, when I make the "number of bars to lookback" = 10,000, the indicators start plotting in Market Analyzer. Even then, some of the indicator values don't match what I get plotting it on the daily chart with 10,000 bars included.

Is there some difference between the Market Analyzer and the chart view? Why would my indicator work fine on a daily chart with 1000 bars, but not in Market Analyzer with a setup of 1000 for number of bars to look back?

The attached picture is how my indicator set up looks in Market Analyzer. On my chart, I have the same exact setup, 1000 bars of data, calculate on bar close = false, etc.

By the way, I'm finding a lot of bugs in the new version compared to the prior release. Just as an example, the optimizer is pretty much useless. Does not execute the strategies properly at all. Also, the market analyzer randomly changes indicator values even when there's no data streaming. Not sure what's going on.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jdrobinson81; 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM.

jdrobinson,

The market analyzer would have the same need for historical data as your regular indicator if applied to a chart. As such you would need to ensure the bars to lookback was sufficient. If you change it to something like 1021 does it work?

As far as the strategy analyzer, there are known discrepancies between backtesting and live trading, and these are present on all platforms. You can partially remedy this by using our intrabar granularity reference sample, by using market replay, or by constructing strategies that have "calculate on bar close" set to true.

Discrepancies : http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ime_vs_bac.htm

Reference sample for intra-bar granularity : http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=6652

Please let me know if I may assist further.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AdamP View Post
      jdrobinson,

The market analyzer would have the same need for historical data as your regular indicator if applied to a chart. As such you would need to ensure the bars to lookback was sufficient. If you change it to something like 1021 does it work?

As far as the strategy analyzer, there are known discrepancies between backtesting and live trading, and these are present on all platforms. You can partially remedy this by using our intrabar granularity reference sample, by using market replay, or by constructing strategies that have "calculate on bar close" set to true.

Discrepancies : http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ime_vs_bac.htm

Reference sample for intra-bar granularity : http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=6652

Please let me know if I may assist further.
      Thanks. I think you've explained it, and that makes sense.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
      5 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
      Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
      7 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB