Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Tradestation to Ninjatrader indicator variations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tradestation to Ninjatrader indicator variations

I am considering a transition from tradestation to ninjatrader and have been testing my system with ninjatrader.

I found quite a large discrepancy between the way some of the indicators appear on my charts. This seems to give fairly different entry/exit points and messes my system up.

These are the indicators that show a fair bit of difference:
    Bollinger bands
    Linear regression curve
    MACD
    Stoch Slow

I'm curious if it is possible to modify the ninjatrader indicators to build more similar charts to that in tradestation. Or is there a way to directly convert the tradestation indicators to be used in ninjatrader?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about this or where I can find someone to assist with this?

Is there actually a difference with these basic indicators between nt and ts in terms of their programming? Or is what i'm seeing likely due to scaling differences and the way it handles data.

I tested with both data downloaded from tradestation and the market replay data.

Thanks.

acdrew,

The NinjaTrader indicators would all be based on the standard formulas out of trading magazines and other references. I'd imagine they would be the same with Tradestation however they use an entirely different language style for the programming so I am not sure here. One thing you may try is setting Calculate on bar close to "false".

Another thing is that the data series may be different across data providers. If the underlying data series is different, then the indicators would calculate differently since they have different inputs. I would suggest comparing the data from tradestation to NT and see if there are any differences. Its also possible to calculate on other series like high, low, etc. in NinjaTrader so you may want to double check these as well.

A NinjaScript consultant would probably be able to help you create any new indicators you would want.

Also, please note you can use the NinjaTrader AT interface to run your Tradestation strategies through NinjaTrader.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_AdamP; 04-16-2012, 11:31 AM.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I ended up having the same issue with different value for d slow indicator. I am not sure if/how to fix. Did you find a solution?

Dorian

Comment

Dorian,

There isn't really much I can do short of pointing to Koganam's response in the thread here :

Essentially, it can be difficult to match two indicators as the data feeds are usually different. In additionally if the indicators have different implementations its possible they will display slightly different.

Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I received the calculation method from Realtick, here is their email to me:

D Slow
          To create %D Slow you must select the number of intervals to include in the*
          Realtick's Chart window calculates all values to 15 decimal places, then rounds the value to 2 decimal places or fractions (depending on what the security uses) to display the value.
          For %D, RealTick uses a simple moving average on the %K data.
          For %D slow, RealTick uses a simple moving average of the %D to get the first term, then uses the formula, for a p period moving average, for the xth term in the series to be averaged to get all successive terms in the series. This is a shortcut to conserve memory.
          %DSlowx = (p-1)/p * %DSlowx-1 + (1/p)*%Dx
          Example: If you do a 10 period %DSlow, the %DSlow is a simple moving average for the first term. The %Dslow for the second term is 9/10 of the %DSlow for the first term plus 1/10 of the %D for the second term.
          For % D slow average, RealTick uses a simple moving average of the %D Slow to get the first term, then uses the formula, for a p period moving average, for the xth term in the series to be averaged:
          %DSlowAvgx=(p-1)/p * %DSlowAvgx-1 + (1/p)*%DSlowx
          to get all successive terms in the series. This is a shortcut to conserve memory.
          Example: If you do a 10 period %DSlowAvg, the %DSlowAvg is a simple moving average for the first term. The %DSlowAvg for the second term is 9/10 of the %DSlowAvg for the first term plus 1/10 of the %DSlow for the second term.
          *----
          Let me know if someone can make this indicator or adjust the d slow indicator in NInja trader for me

Dorian

Comment

I found this here from NT_Cameron

Additionally, for some indicators such as Stochastics, do you know the calculation method of your other Platform? NinjaTrader uses SMA calculations within our Stochastics, other platforms may use Exponential or Weighted moving averages.

However, with NinjaTrader you can create a custom coded Stochastics to match other platforms. To view the source code of our Stochastics - Tools --> Edit NinjaScript --> Stochastics

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

D Slow
            Realtick's Chart window calculates all values to 15 decimal places, then rounds the value to 2 decimal places or fractions (depending on what the security uses) to display the value.
            For %D slow, RealTick uses a simple moving average of the %D to get the first term, then uses the formula, for a p period moving average, for the xth term in the series to be averaged to get all successive terms in the series. This is a shortcut to conserve memory.
            Example: If you do a 10 period %DSlow, the %DSlow is a simple moving average for the first term. The %Dslow for the second term is 9/10 of the %DSlow for the first term plus 1/10 of the %D for the second term.
            For % D slow average, RealTick uses a simple moving average of the %D Slow to get the first term, then uses the formula, for a p period moving average, for the xth term in the series to be averaged:
            to get all successive terms in the series. This is a shortcut to conserve memory.
            Example: If you do a 10 period %DSlowAvg, the %DSlowAvg is a simple moving average for the first term. The %DSlowAvg for the second term is 9/10 of the %DSlowAvg for the first term plus 1/10 of the %DSlow for the second term.
            *----
            Let me know if someone can make this indicator or adjust the d slow indicator in NInja trader for me

Dorian

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

D Slow
              *----

Dorian
              Both of those are a method fpr calculating an EMA of a datastream. If you are using a factor of 1/10, that, in fact, is calculating the 19 period EMA, not the 10 period EMA. So your calculations are already defective; or at least not what they are representing that they are.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
              16 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Leafcutter  
              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post WHICKED