Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to make a variable persistent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a variable persistent

I’m trying to create an indicator that calculates a dynamic upper and lower band which should move with price.

I set an initial value of the UpperBand and LowerBand and do a check to see if that value is breached. The problem I’m having is that as soon as a bar is completed, the initial values for UpperBand and LowerBand go to zero. How do I make these values retain their previous value?

The chart I’ve attached shows a 30 sec bar chart. The horizontal lines show the UpperBand and LowerBand. If you run the code, you'll see that the values go to zero.

Anyone know how I can solve this?

Thanks,
    Taddypole…
    Attached Files

Hi Taddypole,

You may want to use double here instead of DataSeries for some of these values. DataSeries store a value for every bar, so are most useful when you want index past values or use as input for an indicator. You are not doing that here, so I replaced DataSeries with doubles and ran for a few minutes -- never saw Upperband and LowerBand hit value of zero with this attached version.
    Attached Files
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Ryan,

That did the trick. Can you explain why dataseries values are not persistent?

Comment

It's a different structure -- you need to set it for every bar. A double value will keep the last value you assigned to it.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

TaddyPole - just to clarify further, if you are interested...

A DataSeries is a type of Array... this means it can store many values, *all of which remain persistent*, until they are deleted, modified, or the array reaches it's maximum size. Generally in c# .NET, an array has a maximum size of 2GB.

An array stores it's values like this: [first value] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [next index]... [last value]

You can reference any value in an array via it's index, like this: myArray[0] (this will access the first value)

A NinjaTrader DataSeries is a 'First In First Out (FIFO)' array, meaning that the latest value will have the index [0] and the oldest value will have the index [size-1]...

You can read more here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.71).aspx

If using more than one Bar Period, or Period Type for your charts / indicators, you need to be aware that NinjaTrader DataSeries can also be synchronized with specific members of BarsArray[], though this is beyone the scope of this post.

Hopefully that's of some help.

PS - simply put, to set the 'latest' value in the array, use:

myArray.Set( myValue );

To retrieve the latest value, and assign it to a variable, use something along the lines of:

myVariable = myArray[ 0 ];

J
          Last edited by j2496i; 07-31-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
          17 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
          Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post rocketman7