Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Market Analyer vs Chart Indicator Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market Analyer vs Chart Indicator Differences

I have a chart with an indicator that exposes a value and draws an arrow under certain condiitons. The chart is linked with a market analyzer window that has a column for the same indicator. The problem is that the indiator on the chart and the indicator called by the market analyzer are returning different values.

I have determined that the problem is that the chart has a data series that can be told to only load n days of data. The market analyzer on the other hand can only be set to look back 256 bars or an infinite number of bars. So if I set the chart data series to 256 days and the indicator called by the analyzer to look back 256 bars, where each bar is one day, I can get the same values.

Shouldn't the market analyzer also be able to be set to only load n days of data? Without that setting one needs to adjust the chart to only have 256 bars of data. Is that correct? Am I overlooking an alternate solution that prevents the discrepancy?

Hello dkrumholz,

The Market Analyzer, unlike a chart, is mainly used for real-time market scanning for multiple instruments, therefore a number of days to load would not be needed.

Yes, you could set the Maximum bars look back to 256 on each of the Market Analyzer and the Charting window.

The other options to check would is to check the Calculate on bar close is set to false if you are using the Market Analyzer as the indicator will be updated every tick.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...onbarclose.htm

Please note that exposing an indicator value that is not a plot would be used for access from other indicators or strategies.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=4991

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Since I am using the market analyzer for market scanning and I want the scan to match the chart that is linked - I think do need that setting. I don't understand how the market analyzer being used for real time scanning is justification for omitting that setting. I don't see how realtime scanning obviates the need for the setting. Can you explain how the one follows from the other? It doesn't yet make sense to me.

Comment

Hello dkrumholz,

To start lets make sure you are getting the same values on each one. If you set Calculate on bar close and the Maximum bars look back to 256 on both the Market Analyzer, and the Chart does you indicator have the same value?

As for the Market Analyzer, you will want to use the right tool for the job, for example to look back at data for a specific number of day the best tool would be a chart. With that said, you still do have the option to set the Maximum number of bars to Infinite so you still can access to the full series so you can look back farther than just 256 bars.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...rslookback.htm
        JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I must apologize. The setting is there - almost. I don't know why I keep overlooking it. The indicator when called from the market analyzer has a setting for number of bars to look back. Not the same as the chart which has a value set in days but if you work with a daily chart it happens to work out.

As a wish list item - the two settings should be changed to have identical units. The indicator when called from the market analyzer should probably have number of days to look back (like the chart's data series) instead of number of bars to look back.

Comment

Thanks much for your feedback dkrumholz, I've added this item to our product management enhancement tracking lists here.
            BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by kujista, Today, 06:23 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post kujista
            by kujista

Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 04:32 PM