Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Does anyone have Mesa Sine Wave indicator from Think or Swim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't find this indicator with Ninja, so i'm using my indicator from Think which is nonsense. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello jpickering,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader support Forums!

I am not familiar with the Mesa Sine Wave indicator ThinkOrSwim, but you can try the following Sine Wave indicator to see if is going to be similar at the following link.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...d=1&linkid=121

I will keep this thread open for any members of our community that may have experience with the Mesa Sine Wave Indicator.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.
    JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,
      i didn't find any Mesa Sine Wave indicator on ThinkorSwim.

Comment

mate41...it's there...just saw it listed in the indicators (and with the TDA copyright, so I know it's not one of my own add-ins....

jpickering...what are you asking? For someone to code it from thinkscript or for the thinkscript code itself? (not sure from your comment).

Comment

Ok, i've found it. The code is very different from the NT code (C)
          I compared the MESA with Ehlers NT, and there is a significant difference between them.
          This Mesa Sin Wave seems a great indicator.
          The only way is to find the math basis and try to create a NT indicator.
          Googling about it i've got it but don't remember where.

Comment

Ok, her it is. Attached the formula as a picture.

MESA Sinewave

The Mesa Sine Wave calculates two sine curves. When the two curves resemble a sine wave, the market is in a cycle, otherwise the market is trending. Signals are generated only when the market is in a cycle. A buy signal is generated when the Sine crosses up over the Lead Sine, and a sell signal when the Sine crosses down below the Lead Sine.

The Mesa Sine Wave was developed by John Elhers and was introduced in his article in the November, 1996 issue of Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities magazine.

but i think NT don't use degrees so they would be converted to radians.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mate41; 09-27-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I think this indicator is called 'MAMA' (MESA Adaptive MA) in NT...it's one of the indicators that comes with NT.

Comment

Originally posted by Radical View Post
                I think this indicator is called 'MAMA' (MESA Adaptive MA) in NT...it's one of the indicators that comes with NT.

No. Its by John Ehlers but it isn't his MAMA.

The Sinewave Indicator was introduced by John Ehlers in Rocket Science For Traders.

Over the years and several books, Ehlers published slightly different versions of code for his various indicators as he refined his techniques, including his code for measuring the dominant cycle.

The code for Sinewave reflected these changes and code in Cybernetics is the last iteration. If anyone needs these code examples, PM me. They are published in his books in EasyLanguage.

I coded many of Ehlers' indicators, including the various versions as they evolved over the years. The later ones are smoother, and are based on a more elegant measure of the dominant cycle. I have found many errors in the various NT versions that are out there, and wanted to solve them for my own use. The Corona Cycle that is posted all over the internet is a real mess... it took me weeks of hacking to get my result to match the pictures of Corona Cycle from Ehlers articles, which the publically available versions do not. Mine aren't as pretty... I don't like the heat map.... but the measurements match Ehlers.

Below is a daily chart of 6E with Better Indicators commercial version of Sinewave on top, and the version available in the NinjaScript file sharing section below.

Although the differences on the daily chart look minor..... lowering the time frame amplifies the mistakes that must be in the shared version.

I don't think the differences in the shared version are changes that occur between versions of Ehler's code.... they get way to pronounced at lower time frames, breaking the indicator altogether to be only due to later code revisions. It has errors.

I have found that code mistakes induced by the way that C# does math are often the root of the problems found in the publicly posted Ehler's indicators. I would look there first if I were going to correct the NinjaScript version from the file sharing section.

Since I have this commercial version of SineWave... it was the introduction to Ehlers, that led me to a thorough study of his work..... I never tried to re-code the SineWave version from the file sharing section to make it work.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Crassius; 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the information you provide by this post. I don't much knowledge about this rocket science.

Locksmith Mesa AZ

Comment

There is a thread here on the Hilbert Sinewave Indicator by John Ehlers.

Please see the following screen shot that demonstrates the power of the sine wave indicator that is done right. The support and resistance levels are more refined than what you can find on the NT platform so far. Please note that the ones online for the NT platform, including Barry Taylor's better sine wave indicator, have not achieved this level yet and thus cannot be used to trade successfully/meaningfully. I have typed out a long essay to explain why the ToS version is more superior, but internet explorer …

Here is the copy from a post that I have made within the thread above:

"Most of the versions of the Hilbert Sinewave Oscillator, which I have seen are flawed. The formula used by John Ehlers is complex - see his book "Cybernetic Analysis for Stocks and Futures" pp 154,155, and the translation to eSignal by his partner Chris Kryza already uses a different formula. Both formulae have a severe bug, and should not be adopted without modifcation.

I have found three versions for NinjaTrader:

1) Sinewave

Source: NinjaTrader Support Forum - View Single Post - Ehlers Sine Wave

The indicator follows the original TradeStation by John Ehlers as closely as possible. The bug made by John Ehlers is conserved, a second bug - false period for GetMedian - is added. A relatively useless feature has been added to replace the triangular smoothing of the input series used by John Ehlers with other more fancy smoothing methods (Hull, JMA, VWMA, ....). The indicator plots S/R lines based on cyclical tops and bottoms on the price panel. These slow down NinjaTrader a bit. It would make more sense to draw them with a second indicator that uses a real plot, instead of those unhealthy Draw() methods.

Verdict: Do not use it.

2) HilbertSinewaveOscillator:

The best futures trading community on the planet: futures trading, market news, trading charts, trading platforms, trading strategies

The indicator uses a different approach to calculate the sinewave. It uses the HilbertTransform2 indicator with a setting of 0.07. The period which can be set via indicator is fake, as it is never used by the calculations. I have not fully understood the formula.

Verdict: The indicator comes close to the original Ehlers formula, the bug is removed.

3) HilbertSW:

Indicator from this thread. Nice indicator, but has nothing or little to do with the Hilbert Sinewave indicator by John Ehlers.

There are various implementations in other software packages, which all differ in various details. The subject is not really easy to discuss. At some stage I had built my own versions of the sinewave indicators. I have not published them, because this would have further contributed to the general confusion.

Actually I would like to discuss the issue with somebody, who has a thorough understanding of the underlying logic of these filters. "
                    Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by mmckinnm, Today, 01:34 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                    Started by Conceptzx, 10-11-2022, 06:38 AM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes