Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Simple new indicator help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple new indicator help needed

hello and good day all. i know there isn't custom indicator support in the forum, but what
    i'm looking for is so simple. i'm hoping some kind soul(s) to help me. what i
    want is to be able to manually enter a data point value as frequently/infrequently as i wish, in a separate panel, to plot a line. that's it!
    i would prefer to be able to adjust line color/thickness, but this is optional.
    there are NO formulas or calculations. already calculate multiple formulas in excel and
    it's not helpful because i need to see it on NT chart to see positive/negative
    divergences with price, on same price & time scale. i have done business with two NT
    consultants. james @ tradingcoders and anthony @ purelogiktrading. both are phenomenal. worked with james extensively, he is thorough, professional and great prices. he gave me several additions to my requests at no cost and offered to remove them if i didn't want them. his suggestions were always welcome. anthony read my email requesting numerous indicators and knocked out one of them for free before i paid a dime, with no obligations whatsoever. i could've walked with a free custom indicator, no strings. follow up for both is excellent. i mention this to make it clear i have no problem paying for custom work. it's just that when my request is so basic, i'd prefer to try and get help from the forum. don't want or expect either of these gentlemen to work for
    free, so i'll try here first. there are two main points to my request for help.

1) manually enter whole number data point as often as i want, to plot line.
    2) when new data point is added, CANNOT erase previous values. need a line for divergences.

it's fine if it doesn't work historically, although that is preferred. i realize that gets into paying for the work. the line described here stays until NT is shut down. if there are any questions or clarifications needed, please feel free to let me know. i'm an analyst and trader, definitely not a c# programmer. i have the ideas and the cajones but zero programming skills (at this time).
    i thank any & all who are willing to help.
    johnnymustard

Hi,

I am willing to help you but I don't quite understand what you are trying to do with the code, and how exactly the code is supposed to work.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymustard View Post
      hello and good day all. i know there isn't custom indicator support in the forum, but what
      i'm looking for is so simple. i'm hoping some kind soul(s) to help me. what i
      want is to be able to manually enter a data point value as frequently/infrequently as i wish, in a separate panel, to plot a line. that's it!
      i would prefer to be able to adjust line color/thickness, but this is optional.
      there are NO formulas or calculations. already calculate multiple formulas in excel and
      it's not helpful because i need to see it on NT chart to see positive/negative
      divergences with price, on same price & time scale. i have done business with two NT
      consultants. james @ tradingcoders and anthony @ purelogiktrading. both are phenomenal. worked with james extensively, he is thorough, professional and great prices. he gave me several additions to my requests at no cost and offered to remove them if i didn't want them. his suggestions were always welcome. anthony read my email requesting numerous indicators and knocked out one of them for free before i paid a dime, with no obligations whatsoever. i could've walked with a free custom indicator, no strings. follow up for both is excellent. i mention this to make it clear i have no problem paying for custom work. it's just that when my request is so basic, i'd prefer to try and get help from the forum. don't want or expect either of these gentlemen to work for
      free, so i'll try here first. there are two main points to my request for help.

2) when new data point is added, CANNOT erase previous values. need a line for divergences.

it's fine if it doesn't work historically, although that is preferred. i realize that gets into paying for the work. the line described here stays until NT is shut down. if there are any questions or clarifications needed, please feel free to let me know. i'm an analyst and trader, definitely not a c# programmer. i have the ideas and the cajones but zero programming skills (at this time).
      i thank any & all who are willing to help.
      johnnymustard
      So why not just use the PriceAlert indicator that ships with NT?

Comment

Hello,

As koganam pointed out you could use the built in PriceAlert Indicator for this.

You could have multiple instances of the PriceAlert indicator on a chart. If this does not work for you, could you please further clarify what you're looking for?

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
        LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

initial response & clarification

thank you for your rapid responses. as far as price alert indicator goes, i don't think this will work for what i'm looking for. it says "Sends an alert to the alert window when a price level has been reached".
          not interested in price levels. want a line that i define manually that will basically never be based on prices, directly.

what i'm talking about is to be able to enter a numeric value at any time throughout the day to construct a line for comparison to prices. momentum to prices, volume to prices, velocity to prices, mass to prices etc....

EX: calculate the average volume for the 20 most active stocks on the nasdaq and manually enter that number as a data point, say 8,000,000. then an hour later, calculate the average volume for the 20 most active stocks on the nasdaq and manually enter that number as a data point, say 9,500,000. repeat this process each hour or however often i choose to create a line. the theory being that the 20 most active stocks will (hopefully) lead the NQ contract.

another use might be, look at the 20 most active stocks on the nasdaq and determine how many of those 20 are increasing on heavy volume and how many of those 20 are decreasing? let's say 18 are advancing on heavy volume, so i would manually enter 18 and wait until i did this check again. if 18 of the 20 most active stocks are increasing, then i like my chances that NQ is or soon will be increasing in an important way. if 10 of the 20 most active stocks are advancing on heavy volume and 10 are declining, but the NQ is moving up sharply, i would expect to see that move end soon. and so on.

could do something similar with the 50 most active stocks from s&p or nyse to hopefully get useful information regarding ES and YM contracts.

another use might be experimenting with pivot points on indicators or volume instead of price. for example: calculate pivot points in multiple time frames for a momentum oscillator, then manually enter a data point as often as i wish to form a line to compare to prices. i might calculate this info and add another data point each hour or every 4 hours or every 18 mins etc.....

a few important points:
          1) don't want NT to do any calculations. just let me tell it where to plot a point and connect that point to the next point with a line and then connect each subsequent point with a line for the purpose of convergences & divergences. this line would be in its own panel.

2)i'll do my calculations in excel and manually input the data points. the values will vary widely whether i'm using most active stocks volume or oscillator values.

3)whether or not you agree with my logic is your choice. i don't know what will/won't work just yet. that is why i need the freedom to simply add one data point at a specific value that i determine and a line to connect the points. i do ask that you please don't go on about how the above examples won't help. i have several dozen measurements i will be trying. some may be great, some may be terrible. that's my problem. just need to be able to manually enter numeric values as determined by me.

4)when i find something i like, that will be the time to goto 3rd party coders and pay to have it formally written.

again, my thanks to the forum and for all willing to help. if there's anything else i can do to help you help me, don't hesitate. jonnymustard

Comment

thank you for your rapid responses. as far as price alert indicator goes, i don't think this will work for what i'm looking for. it says "Sends an alert to the alert window when a price level has been reached".
            not interested in price levels. want a line that i define manually that will basically never be based on prices, directly.

what i'm talking about is to be able to enter a numeric value at any time throughout the day to construct a line for comparison to prices. momentum to prices, volume to prices, velocity to prices, mass to prices etc....

EX: calculate the average volume for the 20 most active stocks on the nasdaq and manually enter that number as a data point, say 8,000,000. then an hour later, calculate the average volume for the 20 most active stocks on the nasdaq and manually enter that number as a data point, say 9,500,000. repeat this process each hour or however often i choose to create a line. the theory being that the 20 most active stocks will (hopefully) lead the NQ contract.

another use might be, look at the 20 most active stocks on the nasdaq and determine how many of those 20 are increasing on heavy volume and how many of those 20 are decreasing? let's say 18 are advancing on heavy volume, so i would manually enter 18 and wait until i did this check again. if 18 of the 20 most active stocks are increasing, then i like my chances that NQ is or soon will be increasing in an important way. if 10 of the 20 most active stocks are advancing on heavy volume and 10 are declining, but the NQ is moving up sharply, i would expect to see that move end soon. and so on.

could do something similar with the 50 most active stocks from s&p or nyse to hopefully get useful information regarding ES and YM contracts.

another use might be experimenting with pivot points on indicators or volume instead of price. for example: calculate pivot points in multiple time frames for a momentum oscillator, then manually enter a data point as often as i wish to form a line to compare to prices. i might calculate this info and add another data point each hour or every 4 hours or every 18 mins etc.....

a few important points:
            1) don't want NT to do any calculations. just let me tell it where to plot a point and connect that point to the next point with a line and then connect each subsequent point with a line for the purpose of convergences & divergences. this line would be in its own panel.

2)i'll do my calculations in excel and manually input the data points. the values will vary widely whether i'm using most active stocks volume or oscillator values.

3)whether or not you agree with my logic is your choice. i don't know what will/won't work just yet. that is why i need the freedom to simply add one data point at a specific value that i determine and a line to connect the points. i do ask that you please don't go on about how the above examples won't help. i have several dozen measurements i will be trying. some may be great, some may be terrible. that's my problem. just need to be able to manually enter numeric values as determined by me.

4)when i find something i like, that will be the time to goto 3rd party coders and pay to have it formally written.

again, my thanks to the forum and for all willing to help. if there's anything else i can do to help you help me, don't hesitate. jonnymustard
            So basically then, this is the technical specification?
            • Create an indicator with (let us say) 21 inputs of type double.
            • Draw a line between any inputs, in pairwise chronological order.
            • Have a default value that implies no line should be drawn to or from that input.
            Would that be a correct description?

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
              So basically then, this is the technical specification?
              • Create an indicator with (let us say) 21 inputs of type double.
              • Draw a line between any inputs, in pairwise chronological order.
              • Have a default value that implies no line should be drawn to or from that input.
              Would that be a correct description?
              that does seem pretty much it, but please understand i don't know c# well enough to say definitive yes. my understanding is that a double is a decimal, would only need whole numbers. i realize you used 21 inputs for the example, but to be clear, could be however many i choose for a given session. draw a line between ANY inputs not true but yes on chronological order. "Have a default value that implies no line should be drawn to or from that input." not sure what that means exactly. line should connect the data points in chronological order. i assume the times will be correct automatically as i input the data points. hope i answered your question, thank you very much. jm
              Last edited by johnnymustard; 12-02-2012, 01:52 AM. Reason: duplicate

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Mestor, 03-10-2023, 01:50 AM
              16 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post z.franck  
              Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post rtwave