Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Effect on bar timestamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effect on bar timestamps

I have two questions.

1) assume i am building a prior day close value through a reference to a specific timestamp of a bar (example, the 2:00 pm bar), is the timestamp derived in any way from the pc's clock?. or is it a value from or within the data feed? i ask because in testing my indicator i am getting slightly different values on my laptop vs. my desktop for the prior day close, despite both having identical chart settings and datafeed.

2). if instead i use the priordayOHLC() method, is this method getting values from the datafeed for, say the pd close, or it building the values based on timestamps affected by the pc clock?
    Jim-Boulder
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Elephant Tracks

Hi Jim, which broker or datafeed are you using here? Would it be the same on both PC's you tested with?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

They are the same on both--as my laptop is my backup for my desktop--my broker is Mirus and the data feed is Zen-Fire.
      Jim-Boulder

Comment

Thanks Jim, then your data would be natively timestamped. If you reload the complete data on both PC's, would you still see differences?

Comment

do I understand correctly that if my PC clock is off then all my bar values are off? This difference shows up most easily when we're comparing PD Close (the value returned by the PriorDayOHLC(PriorClose) (or High, Low)) to the exchange's official value....

I guess I don't understand where the bars timestamps are coming from - I thought they would be part of the datafeed--such that if the session template dictates that the close is at time "X"--then the close of the bar with time "X" in the datafeed would be used for the PD close.(as used in the PriorDayOHLC() method)...and thereby it wouldn't matter what my PC's clock was---

Sorry for the repeat question...our troubleshooting processes may have the wrong logic so I am trying to make sure we've got the core logic correct...thanks.
          Jim-Boulder

Comment

The timestamps with this provider are done native, meaning on the server - not locally done by your PC clock.

One thing you need to keep in mind, is the official exchange close likely figures in the settlement price value - which would not be seen on your intraday data.

For your setup though, I think a reload of data would bring the results to an identical level.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by jpapa, Today, 07:22 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
            Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
            116 responses
            1 like