Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Large Number of plots causes NT problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Number of plots causes NT problems

I have a very complex study that uses a large number of plots. When I add more than 30 plots, it appears that NT always decides that the minimum of the plot is zero. Attaches is a cut-down strip that shows this. It should plot the current close, but it ALWAYS sets the minimum of the plot to zero. (or -5?).

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by SharkCub View Post
    I have a very complex study that uses a large number of plots. When I add more than 30 plots, it appears that NT always decides that the minimum of the plot is zero. Attaches is a cut-down strip that shows this. It should plot the current close, but it ALWAYS sets the minimum of the plot to zero. (or -5?).

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?
    You have assigned one Plot, Plot0 a value: all the others are undefined. What were you expecting to see?

Comment

The issue turns out to be that I have one of the plots marked as a bar plot. Even if there is NO data in the plot, NT sets the "minimum" to zero... Solution: Over-ride the min/max computation and ignore any plot that has all "empty" values.

Comment

I have coded an indicator that has 540 plots. No problems whatsoever. This is just to confirm that NinjaTrader can indeed handle a large amount of plots.

The only limitation here is the RAM requirement. Let us assume that you open a 5-minute chart with a lookback period of 1 year. In that case NinjaTrader needs to store all the DataSeries values over the last year.

If you assume that there are 250 business days per year, if you further assume that a typical business day has about 276 bars (1440 min, one hour deducted as break and then divided by 5) and if you take into account that each data point occupies 8 Byte, then you can compute the RAM requirement for this indicator as

540 plots x 250 days x 276 bars x 8 bytes = 298 MByte

This calculation would apply to any software that is used to display 540 plots on a 5-minute chart with a lookback of 1 year. Now if you apply that indicator to a 1-minute chart, the RAM load will increase to 1.5 GByte. Still feasible. But if you try to open a Renko chart which has a lot more bars than a 1-minute chart, a PC upgrade might be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
          I have coded an indicator that has 540 plots. No problems whatsoever. This is just to confirm that NinjaTrader can indeed handle a large amount of plots.

The only limitation here is the RAM requirement. Let us assume that you open a 5-minute chart with a lookback period of 1 year. In that case NinjaTrader needs to store all the DataSeries values over the last year.

If you assume that there are 250 business days per year, if you further assume that a typical business day has about 276 bars (1440 min, one hour deducted as break and then divided by 5) and if you take into account that each data point occupies 8 Byte, then you can compute the RAM requirement for this indicator as

540 plots x 250 days x 276 bars x 8 bytes = 298 MByte

This calculation would apply to any software that is used to display 540 plots on a 5-minute chart with a lookback of 1 year. Now if you apply that indicator to a 1-minute chart, the RAM load will increase to 1.5 GByte. Still feasible. But if you try to open a Renko chart which has a lot more bars than a 1-minute chart, a PC upgrade might be necessary.
          Ahem....Mr.Harry,could please kindly peep into this thread:

The deal is about 2 plots only...540 this is not!...

Comment

Originally posted by SharkCub View Post
            The issue turns out to be that I have one of the plots marked as a bar plot. Even if there is NO data in the plot, NT sets the "minimum" to zero... Solution: Over-ride the min/max computation and ignore any plot that has all "empty" values.
            See you in 2 years for another update

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by maybeimnotrader, Yesterday, 05:46 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
            Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
            5 responses
            0 likes