Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Multi-Instrument Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-Instrument Indicator

Hello Support,

I am creating an indicator that will plot the ratio of EMAs of 2 separate instruments. What i am doing is that i put the dataseries of the 2 instruments on the chart. In my code:

double ema1 = EMA(BarsArray[0],_ema1Length)[0];
    double ema2 = EMA(ChartControl.BarsArray[1],_ema2Length)[0];

I calculate the ratio and then plot it.

I get some very peculiar and inconsistent behaviour. The above code somethimes work and sometimes it doesnt. Changing the 2nd line to:

double ema2 = EMA(ChartControl.BarsArray[1],_ema2Length)[-1];

works. And then after some time of running, it stops working again. And when i change the statement to 0 offset, it starts to work.

The exception that i get is:

4/17/2013 7:36:11 PM|3|4|Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method for indicator 'EMARatio' on bar 0: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since its out of range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart.

Can you please explain the behaviour or what i am supposed to do.

Thanks.
    Umer

Hello Umer,

ChartControl, is not a supported method by NinjaTrader.

With that said, the error message means that you are accessing a Data Series that does not have enough data loaded. Since you are accessing a Secondary Series on a chart rather than inside of the Indicator itself you would have to create a check to make sure that it has enough bars before you start your calculations like in the following thread post.

JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello JC,

Thanks for your reply.

I have put in all those checks. And the exception is on the EMA dataseries. Please advice. I can share the indicator as well

Thanks.
      Umer

Comment

Hello Umer,

It looks like on one of your EMA Data Series you are passing it the "ChartControl.BarsArray[1]" which can be accessing data that is not valid since you are checking "-1" BarsAgo.

If you would like to share the indicator, I can take a look at it to see if anything stands out to me or any other member that comes across this thread.
        JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Master.Aurora View Post
          Hello Support,

I am creating an indicator that will plot the ratio of EMAs of 2 separate instruments. What i am doing is that i put the dataseries of the 2 instruments on the chart. In my code:

double ema1 = EMA(BarsArray[0],_ema1Length)[0];
          double ema2 = EMA(ChartControl.BarsArray[1],_ema2Length)[0];

I calculate the ratio and then plot it.

I get some very peculiar and inconsistent behaviour. The above code somethimes work and sometimes it doesnt. Changing the 2nd line to:

double ema2 = EMA(ChartControl.BarsArray[1],_ema2Length)[-1];

works. And then after some time of running, it stops working again. And when i change the statement to 0 offset, it starts to work.

The exception that i get is:

4/17/2013 7:36:11 PM|3|4|Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method for indicator 'EMARatio' on bar 0: You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since its out of range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart.

Can you please explain the behaviour or what i am supposed to do.

Thanks.
          Umer
          You need a CurrentBars validity check for each and every barSeries that you are loading.

Comment

JC, if you read my original message completely, i have specifically mentioned that using -1 works for me sometimes and then it stops working.

I am attaching the indicator. Please advise.

Thanks.
            Umer
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello Master.Aurora,

Thank you for your response.

As the ChartControl.BarsArray is unsupported in NinjaScript, can you describe why you are using ChartControl.BarsArray over BarsArray and ChartControl.BarsArray[0].Count over CurrentBars?

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Originally posted by Master.Aurora View Post
                JC, if you read my original message completely, i have specifically mentioned that using -1 works for me sometimes and then it stops working.

I am attaching the indicator. Please advise.

Thanks.
                Umer
                This should help you see what is going on:

Code:
                  protected override void OnBarUpdate()
                        {
                            // Use this method for calculating your indicator values. Assign a value to each
                            // plot below by replacing 'Close[0]' with your own formula.

[COLOR="Blue"][B][I]Print ( "BarsArray[0].Count=" +  BarsArray[0].Count);
                Print ( "ChartControl.BarsArray[0].Count=" +  ChartControl.BarsArray[0].Count);
                Print ( "BarsArray[1].Count=" +  BarsArray[1].Count); //might not be valid?
                Print ( "ChartControl.BarsArray[1].Count=" +  ChartControl.BarsArray[1].Count);
                Print ( "BarsRequired = " + BarsRequired );[/I][/B][/COLOR]

if(ChartControl.BarsArray[0].Count<= BarsRequired || ChartControl.BarsArray[1].Count<= BarsRequired)
                				return;

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by gbourque, Today, 06:39 AM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post gbourque  
                Started by rexsole, Today, 08:39 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes