Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

General question on exporting indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General question on exporting indicators

I am developing indicators that I export and send to others.
    I have run into a problem where my code which has been running smoothly for years is now not working for others once I recompile it and send it to them. I've tracked it down to a 3rd party indicator I've imported since the code was working. The question I have is why is this happening?, I've imported many 3rd party indicators into my system and this problem has never happened.

I've actually gone into one of my .cs files and rt clicked in the editor and choose reference and see that it's actually calling this suspect 3rd party indicator. But I have made no reference to that indicator in any of my code.

Could it be that this 3rd party indicator has overloaded some basic functions in NT and so my code is in directly calling it?

I've asked the develop to send me a reference list from his editor to see what it may be.

Any thoughts on why this would be?

effectively, it's causing me to have to distribute the other 3rd party developers .dll file, which I can't do. Suggestions on a fix? I've removed it from my system to compile these but would like to have it on my system moving forward to trade with.

Thanks
    Last edited by philli4093; 04-23-2013, 07:30 AM.

Hello philli4093,

Thank you for your post.

This is not because of a reference in your code but because there is a reference to the third party .dlls in your installation of NinjaTrader.

We recommened using a "clean" installation of NinjaTrader to develop and export your code from. A "clean" installation does not include any third party assembely (.dll) references.

You can create a "clean" installation of NinjaTrader by renaming the NinjaTrader 7 folder in the (My) Documents directory of your PC to 'Old.NinjaTrader 7' and then restarting NinjaTrader to create a fresh NinjaTrader 7 folder in the (My) Documents directory.

You will then need to setup your development environment with your license key and any connections you use. To switch between the "clean" development environment requires shutting down NinjaTrader and renaming the NinjaTrader 7 folder 'Dev.NinjaTrader 7' (you can name it what you want) and then renaming the 'Old.NinjaTrader 7' fodler to 'NinjaTrader 7'.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by philli4093 View Post
      I am developing indicators that I export and send to others.
      I have run into a problem where my code which has been running smoothly for years is now not working for others once I recompile it and send it to them. I've tracked it down to a 3rd party indicator I've imported since the code was working. The question I have is why is this happening?, I've imported many 3rd party indicators into my system and this problem has never happened.

I've actually gone into one of my .cs files and rt clicked in the editor and choose reference and see that it's actually calling this suspect 3rd party indicator. But I have made no reference to that indicator in any of my code.

Could it be that this 3rd party indicator has overloaded some basic functions in NT and so my code is in directly calling it?

I've asked the develop to send me a reference list from his editor to see what it may be.

Any thoughts on why this would be?

effectively, it's causing me to have to distribute the other 3rd party developers .dll file, which I can't do. Suggestions on a fix? I've removed it from my system to compile these but would like to have it on my system moving forward to trade with.

Thanks
      One should do development on a clean system that has nothing that is not essential. That means that it should have only stuff that you develop, unless a 3rd party dll is essential to your development. That way, nothing gets in the way of your exports.

I would suggest that you do as I do. Create a Virtual Machine to run your trading on, and develop on the main system. The advantage of using a Virtual Machine to trade include the fact that you get a guaranteed slice of the computer resources, and because it is totally isolated from your main system, is immune to attack from malware that attacks your main system.

In fact, in my Virtual Machine, the ONLY thing that I run is Ninja Trader, and I have no anti-malware on the Virtual Machine, as I never do ANYTHING else. No internet surfing, no writing, nothing. There is nothing to interfere with my NT, or the system, so I get no slowdown if things start to move really fast. Just my @0.02.

Comment

excellent idea on the vm.

What os do you use for it? xp or 7 32 or 64bit? what is best settings for VM and ninja?

what vm do u use?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by philli4093 View Post
          excellent idea on the vm.

What os do you use for it? xp or 7 32 or 64bit? what is best settings for VM and ninja?

what vm do u use?

Thanks!
          As at now, I use VirtualBox on Windows Server 2012. The VM runs Windows XP with 3GB of RAM, and 2 virtual screens.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post jclose
          by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
          10 responses
          0 likes