Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

problem with my first custom indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with my first custom indicator

I just created a custom indicator [first one] using the wizard. everything seemed to go ok and when I do a tools/edit ninjascript/indicator my indicator is listed there.

then when I right clicked on a chart in the strategy analyzer and then clicked on the indicator drop down list I expected my indicator to be listed there. however it was not listed. if I did everything right should it have been listed and available to be placed on the chart?

please tell me the steps I should take to apply an indicator to the chart.

I just did a test, the results of which demonstrate that I don't know how to apply an indicator to a strategy analyzer chart. the test was as follows.....instead of trying to apply my custom indicator I unsuccessfully tried to apply a built in indicator.

specifically I did the following......

I right clicked on a chart in the strategy analyzer and then clicked on the indicator drop down list. I chose built in indicator SMA. then I did apply & ok. BUT THE 14 DAY SMA DID NOT APPEAR?

please tell me the steps I should take to apply the SMA indicator to the chart.

Comment

Joe, do you see any error in your Control Center log tab?

Would it work normally if you worked from a regular chart instead of the SA one?

For your custom script, did you compile changes into the runtime assembly via the F5 command in the editor?
      BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks for the suggestions Bertrand, especially for alerting me to the existence and availability of the log file.

at the moment do you agree that the bigger issue here is that I must learn how to apply a built in indicator. if I can't do that I won't be able to apply my custom indicator.

in the meantime I will look at the log file and learn how to display a regular chart. plus I will continue to research/test the problem

Comment

That's correct, the default should work right away, custom could have issues tied to the programming that contribute. For your process, after you selected the indicator in the list did you doubleclick it or click 'New' so it would be added to the active selection for this chart?

Comment

at this point i'm not sure what I did. I do know that now when I right click on a chart in the strategy analyzer and then click on the indicator drop down list and chose a built in indicator such as SMA then click 'apply' & 'ok' the 14 day SMA does not appear. assuming that those are the correct steps and that I do them correctly then I'm just plain doing something wrong somewhere. I feel like the sorcerer's apprentice.

the good news is that my custom indicator appears in the indicator drop down list along with all the built in indicators.

Comment

Joe, can you please see my comment on the process of applying the script (any for that matter) below?

Did you take those steps?

'For your process, after you selected the indicator in the list did you doubleclick it or click 'New' so it would be added to the active selection for this chart?'

Comment

Good news --- thanks a lot

I just stumbled into clicking on the 'NEW' button [that you suggested] in the indicator drop down list and the SMA indicator was displayed on the chart. thanks a bunch.

I must record all these steps for future reference, because if I don't use NT for a week memory fade sets in.

I unsuccessfully tried to apply my custom indicator - so I will play around now with that.

THANKS A LOT

Comment

Glad to hear that helped. If you would like assistance with the custom script or see any log errors after it was applied, please let us know.

Comment

just a note
                    I was unaware of your 6:57am reply when I sent my 7:11am reply

Comment

ok - No worries Joe.

Comment

don't know if the following is doable and practical.................

NT is awesome. there must be zillions of programmer-hours invested in it.
                        Even 'awesomer' would be an added user friendly feature of popups at points in the program [eg] reminding/guiding users to remember such things as clicking the 'NEW' button when adding an indicator to a chart.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words about our product Joe and your shared throughts on how to further enhance the platform, I'll make sure this gets added to our suggestion tracking list in product management.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                          47 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post aligator  
                          Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes