Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Value.Set() without plotting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value.Set() without plotting?

Hi

Is it possible to use a DataSeries property and Value.Set() in an indicator without drawing a plot line?

My indicator colours bars (blue or red) according to a condition and a plot line is not required. However, I would like the condition result to be accessible to calling indicators and strategies.

After the indicator was created without any plots, I added a DataSeries property, but no Add(), and I use Value.Set(1) or Value.Set(-1) for each condition. The condition values are now accessible to a calling indicator.

However, when this inidicator is applied to a chart, a plot line appears, with values -1 & +1. There are no inputs available for the plot line, so I can't suppress it manually. Can I suppress the plot line programmatically?

Cheers
    Tony

You've removed and reapplied the indicator to the chart?

I've got an indicator with a lot of data series and only 2 of 8 are plotted... I would suspect everything would still work if I removed the 2 Adds()...

Restarted NT???

Originally posted by Jellybean View Post
    Hi

Is it possible to use a DataSeries property and Value.Set() in an indicator without drawing a plot line?

My indicator colours bars (blue or red) according to a condition and a plot line is not required. However, I would like the condition result to be accessible to calling indicators and strategies.

After the indicator was created without any plots, I added a DataSeries property, but no Add(), and I use Value.Set(1) or Value.Set(-1) for each condition. The condition values are now accessible to a calling indicator.

However, when this inidicator is applied to a chart, a plot line appears, with values -1 & +1. There are no inputs available for the plot line, so I can't suppress it manually. Can I suppress the plot line programmatically?

Cheers
    Tony

Comment

Hi

Cheers
      Tony
      Values is just another identifier for the Plots Array. What is called a reserved word. If you assign to Values, the Plot is simply assumed, and used silently. In fact, many of the shipping NT indicators do not declare a Plot, and just assign to Values[0], or even Value.

Just expose the DataSeries itself directly as public, assign to it, and you can access if from wherever you wish.

Heck, I even sometimes use it as a mechanism to return data from the Strategy to the Indicator!

Comment

Thanks for your comment, Sledge.
        I did try removing and re-applying the indicator and also restarting NT, but it stayed the same.
        Cheers
        Tony

Comment

Thanks, Koganam

I appreciate your help with this. It worked well with the right access available to other strategies & indicators.

However, when I try to save the Workspace, I get this error:
          "Indicator 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.BBVColours' could not be serialized." I've obviously missed something. Can you help further?

I've just declared
          public DataSeries Direction;

In Initialize()
          Direction = new DataSeries( this );

In OnBarUpdate()
          if( ... )
          Direction[0] = -1;
          else
          Direction[0] = 1;

I access it from another indicator this way.
          bool result = BBVColours( Close, signalATRMult, aTRPer ).Direction[1] < 0 && BBVColours( Close, signalATRMult, aTRPer ).Direction[0] > 0;

Cheers
          Tony

Comment

Thanks, Koganam

I appreciate your help with this. It worked well with the right access available to other strategies & indicators.

However, when I try to save the Workspace, I get this error:
            "Indicator 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.BBVColours' could not be serialized." I've obviously missed something. Can you help further?

I've just declared
            public DataSeries Direction;

In Initialize()
            Direction = new DataSeries( this );

In OnBarUpdate()
            if( ... )
            Direction[0] = -1;
            else
            Direction[0] = 1;

I access it from another indicator this way.
            bool result = BBVColours( Close, signalATRMult, aTRPer ).Direction[1] < 0 && BBVColours( Close, signalATRMult, aTRPer ).Direction[0] > 0;

Cheers
            Tony
            Where and how did you expose the DataSeries Direction's properties?

Comment

Hi Koganam

Thanks for your guiding question!

I had just declared public DataSeries Direction, then accessed it as a member of the indicator.
              BBVColours( Close, signalATRMult, aTRPer ).Direction[1], for example.

However, I have fixed the problem by providing a property for access to it. I now use:
              private DataSeries direction;

and provide access with:
              public DataSeries Direction
              {
              get { return direction; }
              }

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
              Tony

Comment

Hi Koganam

Thanks for your guiding question!

I had just declared public DataSeries Direction, then accessed it as a member of the indicator.
                BBVColours( Close, signalATRMult, aTRPer ).Direction[1], for example.

However, I have fixed the problem by providing a property for access to it. I now use:
                private DataSeries direction;

and provide access with:
                public DataSeries Direction
                {
                get { return direction; }
                }

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
                Tony
                Well, that was exactly what I was suspecting. I am glad that you fixed it on your own.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                Started by KennyK, 05-29-2017, 02:02 AM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post marcus2300