Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Duplicate Method Names error when Importing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate Method Names error when Importing

Hello,

I have been dealing with this problem for quite some time now and I have a few tricks up my sleeve to try and get around it. However, this time I am stuck.

One of my customers is trying to import my indicator and is receiving the "duplicate method names" message. They've already removed the assembly via the standard technique and also removed dll/cs files from the "cache" folder and the "bin/Custom" folder. Are there other locations to look?

They ARE able to "re-compile" by opening another indicator and compiling it, without error. Yet, when trying to import, they still get the "duplicate method names" message.

They also tried restarting NT various times throughout the process.

Is there a way to determine WHAT the duplicate name is in order to narrow down the problem? Are there other files that can be manually deleted that can help with this problem?

I'm really trying to avoid the "reinstall NinjaTrader" solution and understand what is actually happening to prevent problems in the future.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Daniel
    Last edited by neoikon; 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM.

Daniel, does your setup from which you export, reference any other custom Dll's that would not be typically used in a default NT setup?

Typically to see which methods it takes offense at just install the Dll manually into the bin > custom folder, restart NT and then recompile.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

If your indicator uses a non-system indicator, which is already installed on the machine of your customer, there will be a conflict.

Install problems should also show on the trace file.

Comment

Originally posted by neoikon View Post
        Hello,

I have been dealing with this problem for quite some time now and I have a few tricks up my sleeve to try and get around it. However, this time I am stuck.

One of my customers is trying to import my indicator and is receiving the "duplicate method names" message. They've already removed the assembly via the standard technique and also removed dll/cs files from the "cache" folder and the "bin/Custom" folder. Are there other locations to look?

They ARE able to "re-compile" by opening another indicator and compiling it, without error. Yet, when trying to import, they still get the "duplicate method names" message.

They also tried restarting NT various times throughout the process.

Is there a way to determine WHAT the duplicate name is in order to narrow down the problem? Are there other files that can be manually deleted that can help with this problem?

I'm really trying to avoid the "reinstall NinjaTrader" solution and understand what is actually happening to prevent problems in the future.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Daniel
        Does that indicator that is being installed use a custom namespace?

Comment

Thank you all for the replies!

To answer your questions:
          • There are multiple, custom CS files that I export into one ZIP file for the customer to import.
          • One customer was complaining about the "Duplicate Method" error on a clean install of NT
          • There are no custom, pre-compiled DLL files that I reference in my project (other than .NET type DLLs)
          • The namespace is "NinjaTrader.Indicator" for each indicator (not a custom namespace). Should I change that?
          • Each CS file contains only one class (each inherited from "Indicator")
          • I do have a few "using declarations" and references that aren't common, like Cryptography, Xml, System.Drawing.Design, etc, but I feel it wouldn't be responsible for this particular error.
          • Also, I am using the built-in NT editors and export tools. I'm not using Visual Studio or anything.
          • I wasn't familiar with the Trace file, I will ask to see their trace files and look for clues (thanks for the tip!)

Thank you so much for the replies! I will keep digging. Please let me know if you think of anything else!

Due to this particular error, I dread putting out releases, because it ends up being a headache. I feel it also makes my company look bad and users hesitate to even import upgrades due to problems.

It would be fantastic if NT would say the name of the conflict and offer to remove the old before importing this new. If NT was smart enough to know the CS file of the original conflict, it could also move it to a temp "deleted" sub-folder or something. Perhaps easier said than done.

EDIT: After going through one user's Trace file, it seems that an indicator that was "removed" using the NT "Remove Assembly" tool didn't completely remove the indicator and was still causing conflicts during import. Manually removing these cs/dll files (had to close NT due to these files being locked) did the trick. I still have multiple other users with the same problem, so I haven't determined their solution yet.

Daniel
          Last edited by neoikon; 07-17-2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and update Daniel, if you would like we could together look into the issues of the remaining users to be able to see if the process could be enhanced. To get in touch please contact us via support at ninjatrader dot com directly.
            BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
            Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes