Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Get Y Values of Fibonacci Circle at Current Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get Y Values of Fibonacci Circle at Current Bar

I have a Fibonacci Circle that I've created inside an Indicator, and I would like to get Y values of one of the circles (upper and lower) at the current bar.

Is there some way to use ChartControl or DrawObjects to see the Y positions where the upper and lower portion of one of the Fib circles is for the current bar ?

Hello ,

Thanks for your note.

While this method is unsupported, it is possible to get position values of drawing objects.

Please take a look at how the LineAlert indicator is able to accomplish this.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...atid=4&lpage=1
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for this info. This code uses the slope of a (straight) line to do the calculation.

The Fibonacci circle(s) are not straight lines, so I don't think this technique will work for them.

Is there some other way ? Maybe somehow looking into the screen graphics to see where there are points/lines painted above/below the current bar ?

Comment

Hello,

The indicator calculates the slope using the end points. I was making the assumption you were trying to get the end points.

This indicator calculates the slope so that it can tell if the price has crossed a line. The only way to tell is to have the slope to calculate values on the line and see if the price is higher or lower.

Below is a link to the IFibonacciCircle object in the help guide. This lists all of the information you can gather from the object, such as StartY and EndY (the end points).
        http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...accicircle.htm

Please let me know if you are not looking for the end points of the fibonacci object.

Comment

Hi ChelseaB,

Unfortunately I am not looking for the end points of the Fibonacci Circle. What I am trying to do is to see if a bar has crossed through one (or more) of the Fibonacci circles for each bar going forward after I have created the circle.

So say for example, I've created a (set of) Fibonacci Circle(s) at the low of bar 100. When bar 101 (or 102, 103, etc...) completes, I would like to be able to check if the bar has crossed through one of the Fibonacci circles (at 38.20%, or 61.80%, etc...). In order to do that, I (think I) need to be able to get the Y coordinate of where a given Fibonacci circle (like the 38.20% circle) passes above and/or below the bar that just completed. If I have the Y coordinate I can convert this to a price to compare to the OHLC of the bar that just completed.

I'm not aware of any way to do this with a mathematical calculation (if anyone knows of one, please reply :-), so I was thinking that maybe there is a way to "see" where the circle has been rendered on the screen (by looking into the graphics array ?).

Comment

Hello,

What you are trying to accomplish sounds pretty advanced.

Below is a link to a website that has information about graphing circles that may be helpful.
            http://www.mathwarehouse.com/geometr...f-a-circle.php

Using this and the end point values (start bars ago, end bars ago, start y, end y) you should be able to calculate if a point is within the circle.

Comment

Hey BAltman,

Here are the steps:
              1) Find the current price coordinate by converting the current time and price to drawing coordinates (x and y).
              2) Find the radius and the x,y center of the fibonacci circle in drawing coordinates
              3) Use the distance formula to figure out if the price coordinate is inside or outside the fibonacci circle (i.e. calculate the radius from the center of the fibonacci circle and see if it is <, >, or = to the fibonacci circle radius.

Here ive provided the functions to get the drawing coordinates of the start point (center of the fib circle) and the end point. The radius is simply sqrt((y2-y1)^2+(x2-x1)^2).

Remember, drawing coordinates are (0,0) at the top left, and the x increases positively to the right, and the y increases positively to the bottom. The x axis is on the top of the chart, and the y axis is at the left.

EDIIT: ok, i think drawing coordinates are actually normal coordinates, nvm. im not sure, it probably doesnt matter anyways

To convert price and time to drawing coordinates, use the functions GetXByTime and GetYByValue (these are used in the code i provide).

Step 3 is using the distancen formula from the start point to the point in step 2.

Let me know if you have any questions, just copy the code into your project

Attached Files
              Last edited by Starry; 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Hi Starry,

While I have not tested this (and I am about to), I want to thank you for the work you have done to provide an answer for BAltman.

Comment

no problem, i actually use this code in my fibsr indicator, so i needed to do something similar. its just the required functions for getting the start and endpoint x,y coordinates, so its not the total testable code...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Max238
                  by Max238

Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                  24 responses
                  0 likes