Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Create paintbar of Key reversal bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create paintbar of Key reversal bar

There are 2 indicators that show Key Reversal Bars but they show them in separate indicator windows. How can I show them as a paint bar on the price chart when they occur. If there is a Key reversal bar down say it would paint that bar orange and for a Key reversal bar up say it would paint purple. With the paintbar I would not need the seperate indicator windows.
    Thanks

Originally posted by petvett View Post
    There are 2 indicators that show Key Reversal Bars but they show them in separate indicator windows. How can I show them as a paint bar on the price chart when they occur. If there is a Key reversal bar down say it would paint that bar orange and for a Key reversal bar up say it would paint purple. With the paintbar I would not need the seperate indicator windows.
    Thanks
    A key reversal alone will not tell you a lot. The key reversal gets interesting

- if you eliminate all key reversals with an active trading range
    - if you use a second indicator to determine overbought and oversold conditions based on the price volume distribution of the current day

What is your definition of a key reversal?

Comment

Hello petvett,

Thanks for your post.

You can change the color of a bar based on conditions by setting the BarColor variable.

For example:

if (SMA(19)[0] < SMA(20)[0])
      {
      BarColor = Color.Green;
      }

Below is a link to the help guide on BarColor.
      http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...7/barcolor.htm

If you would like assistance getting the values from the indicators, please let me know the names of the indicators you are working with.
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Do I do this by setting up a new indicator called bar color? I could not find where to choose a variable bar color. I am looking at the indicator called Key Reversal bar up and Key reversal bar down. If those conditions are met I would like that bar to be a different color. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Harry there is an indicator listed in the package called Key reversal Bar. It is when price makes a new high (or low) and then reverses and closes in the bottom 25% of that bar (closes in the top 25%).
          Thanks
          Ron

Comment

Hello,

Try adding a line similar to this to the end of the OnBarUpdate() method.

if (/* conditions here */)
            {
            BarColor = Color.Green;
            }

Where it says /* conditions here */ replace this with the conditions of your choosing.

To do this you will need to make a copy of the indicator with a different name. The original indicator will be locked from editing.

To copy the script:
            • Click Tools -> Edit NinjaScript -> select KeyReversalUp -> click OK
            • Right-click the code in the code editor window -> select Save As...
            • Give the new script a unique name such as KeyReversalUpModified -> click OK

Comment

Originally posted by petvett View Post
              Harry there is an indicator listed in the package called Key reversal Bar. It is when price makes a new high (or low) and then reverses and closes in the bottom 25% of that bar (closes in the top 25%).
              Thanks
              Ron
              I don'T know which indicator you talk about. NinjaTrader comes with two indicators called KeyReversalUp and KeyReversalDown, and there is no 25% rule that can be derived from the code.

Below is a sample chart, arbitrarily chosen. I do not think that this is really a good selection of key reversals. Out of 9 identified reversal bars, a single one is valid, 6 lack any significance, because they are narrow range bars and 2 just show the resumption of an existing trend, which is not a reversal.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here is a litte chart with a few filtered key reversals. The reversals are shown as paintbars. There is no additional plot. The R is only plotted, once the high (key reversal up) or the low (key reversal down) has been taken out, which is used to confirm the reversal.

A 2-bar-reversal, which is also known as a railway (one track down, another track up), is a reversal pattern derived from two bars. If you paint the composite candle built from two bars, you will see the one bar pattern. Therefore the railway is just a reversal pattern on a higher timeframe, that is a 30 min timeframe for a 15 minute chart.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Harry; 09-04-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Hi Harry,

I wanted to let you know I helped petvett with his code directly.

Thank you for your insights here.

Comment

Me too

Hello Chelsea, I too have been trying to color a bar based on the Key Reversal Indicator. Is it possible for you to pass on the code you helped Pet With. Thanks

Comment

Hello 123tangerine,

The script we worked on was directly on petvett's computer.

However, I will request that he share his code with you in this forum thread.

Comment

Key reversal paintbar

Here is the script Chelsea helped me with for key reversal paint bar down:
                        Last edited by petvett; 01-29-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Key reversal paintbars

Sorry. I did not know how to export the scripts. Here they are. Thanks
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much Sir!

Comment

I’m also trying to show key reversal bars. I like to use:-

Sell reversal bar: (H>=H[-1],C<(L+(H-L)/2.5)
                              Buy reversal bar: (L<=L[-1],C>(H-(H-L)/2.5))

I thought I would find this as an option in the candlestick pattern indicator, but not that I can see.

How can I paint the bars in this way?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by f.saeidi, Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                              9 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post f.saeidi  
                              Started by Tim-c, Today, 03:54 AM
                              0 responses