Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Bollinger Band Audio Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bollinger Band Audio Alert

Hi all,

I am using the standard Ninja Bollinger indicator however I want to be notified by an audio alert if and when price closes outside the upper or lower bands.

Can this be done easily? I have zero experience in coding so just wondered if I could do it or if it would be worth hiring someone? If I hired someone what would you expect the cost or time for completion to be?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Datamonkey,

This can be done by either using come NinjaScript code or using the Strategy Wizard. If you have no programming experience I recommend using the Strategy Wizard as a great starting point.

Please see our Help Guide articles on How to use the Strategy Wizard as well as NinjaScript Strategies. More information on these subjects can be found below:
    Click here for more information on Developing Strategies with the Strategy Wizard
    Click here for a Tutorial on Developing Strategies

I'm also proving a link to a recently recorded 'Automated Strategy Development Webinar' video for you to view at your own convenience: Automated Strategy Development Level 1 - NinjaTrader Training - 3/26/2013

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cal View Post
      I'm also proving a link to a recently recorded 'Automated Strategy Development Webinar' video for you to view at your own convenience: Automated Strategy Development Level 1 - NinjaTrader Training - 3/26/2013
      Thanks for your help Cal.

I'll check the links and see what mess I can get myself into with the wizard!

Otherwise do you have any idea how much it might cost to get custom made?

Comment

Datamonkey,

Unfortunately, the prices vary upon each developer. To get a quote you would need to contact them ahead of time

Most of our partnered consultants will give you a quote before charging you.

Comment

Hi DM:

Have you looked at some of the Indicator providers out there? Your request is so simple that you might already have this done by someone.

If you do not find it, send me an email with my username here on gmail.com

Thanks.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by kenny1924 View Post
            Hi DM:

Have you looked at some of the Indicator providers out there? Your request is so simple that you might already have this done by someone.

If you do not find it, send me an email with my username here on gmail.com

Thanks.

Kenny
            Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your help.

Like you say, no doubt this indicator already exists out there somewhere as it's a very simple/obvious however my search for it on the Ninja platform has turned up nothing so far.

I feel I'm half way there of getting it made myself using the Wizard that Cal recommended above but I'm having a slight issue so I may contact you if I fail to get it sorted! Many thanks for your kind offer...

Kind Regards

Comment

Hi Datamonkey,

This can be done by either using come NinjaScript code or using the Strategy Wizard. If you have no programming experience I recommend using the Strategy Wizard as a great starting point.

Please see our Help Guide articles on How to use the Strategy Wizard as well as NinjaScript Strategies. More information on these subjects can be found below:
              Click here for more information on Developing Strategies with the Strategy Wizard
              Click here for a Tutorial on Developing Strategies

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
              Cal,

I have watched the video you provided and easily managed to get an alert when price closes outside the outer bollinger, however I am confused about what exactly the strategy is for.

All I want is for this to be an indicator added to my chart for manual live trading. I do not need it for strategy backtesting or anything like that. I have found the strategy I created under the 'Strategy Analyzer' but I cannot find how to add it as an indicator to my chart. It has not been added to the list of NT indicators. Have I missed something?

Is there a way I can save it as an "indicator" rather than a "strategy"? Are they the same and I'm being stupid?

Please advise. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Datamonkey,

There are differences with the indicator base and strategy base. You cannot save the strategy as a indicator.

The strategy is designed to automate your trading preferences. However, you can build a strategy to have a basic use of a alert indicator which is what I wanted to show you.

You can add the strategy to a chart to have it deliver the audio alerts that you built into the strategy,

Right click on the chart -> Strategies... -> Select the strategy from the top left list and click new -> Adjust any parameters to the right -> When set, change the parameter "Enabled" to true to run the strategies calculations.

Comment

Hi Datamonkey,

There are differences with the indicator base and strategy base. You cannot save the strategy as a indicator.

The strategy is designed to automate your trading preferences. However, you can build a strategy to have a basic use of a alert indicator which is what I wanted to show you.

You can add the strategy to a chart to have it deliver the audio alerts that you built into the strategy,

Right click on the chart -> Strategies... -> Select the strategy from the top left list and click new -> Adjust any parameters to the right -> When set, change the parameter "Enabled" to true to run the strategies calculations.
                  Ok I get it now...

I do have one more issue however, sorry to be a pain...

When I right-click the chart the "strategies" option is greyed out and therefore unclickable. How do I get it so that I can select it?

Thanks again...

Comment

Datamonkey,

Please ensure you are connected to a live data feed and that you have Chart Trader disabled, Right click on the chart and select Properties.

If both of these are true and still can't Strategies to work, please send me a request to Support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with ATTN Cal in the subject and a reference to this post in the body.

Comment

Datamonkey,

Please ensure you are connected to a live data feed and that you have Chart Trader disabled, Right click on the chart and select Properties.

If both of these are true and still can't Strategies to work, please send me a request to Support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with ATTN Cal in the subject and a reference to this post in the body.
                      Thank you Cal. I disabled chart trader and was able to load the strategy.

Only issue is that I trade manually and need the chart trader so I will probably just get someone to code me an indicator instead.

Many thanks again for your help...

Comment

Hi There:

Are you trying to get audio/visual alerts when the price pierced for the first time through the UBB and LBB? What happens when it does the trading at or near the band and pierces it non-stop for the next 5-6 bars? Also, what happens when that NEXT bar pierces to the upside side, and closes below the band?

I trade using BB, so I am trying to understand what you are programming here, since there will be a lot of alerts, and many of them will be false. Hence, you need a lot of sophistication to get programmed into this indicator/strategy. Like Cal said, it will have to be a strategy and not an indicator, but you are going to be drawing a LOT of arrows (up and down).

Lastly, the indicators for Ninja are out there, but hard to search since the search index (on the net) is not built well around it, esp. for Ninja Indicators. I have been trying a few myself, and now, my work around is to attend as many Webinars as possible, although it is taking time while working full-time to hunt down the right set of answers.

Kenny

Comment

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your input.

Are you trying to get audio/visual alerts when the price pierced for the first time through the UBB and LBB? What happens when it does the trading at or near the band and pierces it non-stop for the next 5-6 bars? Also, what happens when that NEXT bar pierces to the upside side, and closes below the band?
                          I only want an alert when the price actually closes above the UBB, or below the LBB, not when price moves past the bands. The next alert would only happen if a) an opposing signal happens or b) if price traded (closed) within the upper and lower BB's and then closed past the upper or lower BB once again either in the same or opposite direction as the last signal. I hope that makes sense?!

By making this as a "strategy" instead of an indicator I have to then turn the "chart trader" off to load the strategy. I need the chart trader, however with it I can't have the strategy.

I'm failing to see why this can't be coded as an indicator instead so that I can use both. I know this can be done on other trading platforms so maybe Ninja is not the platform for my requirements?

I have a few quotes from the NT partner coders which were $75 and $70 so am considering using them however your query here has made me realise I may not have explained my requirements properly!

Lastly, the indicators for Ninja are out there, but hard to search since the search index (on the net) is not built well around it, esp. for Ninja Indicators.
                          Yes I have found that to be very true. I have searched high and low through many irrelevant websites via Google. In fact this lead me to create this thread here!

I really appreciate your help and hope you find the answers you're looking for too! If I get this indi sorted would you find it useful yourself?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                          Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB