Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What is the beset way to find the most recent date the market was open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the beset way to find the most recent date the market was open?

Examples:
    • I run it in the evening, and the market was open that day, I expect that date
    • I run it during the day and the market is open then I expect that date
    • I run it any time the market is not open I expect the last date the market was open

Is there any reasonably elegant way to do that?

Thanks,
    EV

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

The easist way to find the time of the last bar from an indicator is to use Time[0]. This will be the time of the last bar.

For example:
    Print(Time[0]);

This would print the close time of the last bar in the Output Window.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello,

Thanks for your post.

The easist way to find the time of the last bar from an indicator is to use Time[0]. This will be the time of the last bar.

For example:
      Print(Time[0]);

This would print the close time of the last bar in the Output Window.
      Thanks for the idea, but it is not quite what I need. II am trying to identify securities that did NOT trade the last trading day. Unless you have a better idea, what I need is to compare the time of the last bar to the last trading day, so I can flag mis-matches.

--EV

Comment

Hi ETFVoyageur,
        Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
        what I need is to compare the time of the last bar to the last trading day, so I can flag mis-matches.

--EV
        That would work fine.

You may need to use the current bar's time and subtract a day (and use just the date not the time after this), and use the current time and subtract a day (and use just the date) for a good comparison.

Comment

I'm still not with you. Suppose the date of the last daily bar is not today. How do I know whether the discrepancy is due to the market not being open, or to the security not trading?

--EV

Comment

Hi ETFVoyageur,

You have the right idea of comparing the bar date to the date of the last session.

I am just thinking that you would need to do a little bit of work for that to work correctly.

I mentioned that you should use the current time and subtract a day. Really you will need to have the days that the instrument trades hard coded into the strategy to know if the previous day was a trading day.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
              Hi ETFVoyageur,

You have the right idea of comparing the bar date to the date of the last session.

I am just thinking that you would need to do a little bit of work for that to work correctly.

I mentioned that you should use the current time and subtract a day. Really you will need to have the days that the instrument trades hard coded into the strategy to know if the previous day was a trading day.
              And that is what I am asking for -- how to determine the last trading session, whether it is today or some other day. I do not want to hard code it, because things change. Furthermore, any hard coding I do will not know anything about market holidays. There really needs to be a supported way to know when the market was open. Getting it right is too complex to be hard-coded into an indicator.

I suppose I could load a data series for something I know traded, such as SPY or an index and look at its last date. Not very elegant, and pretty darned heavyweight if I do it in places like Market Analyzers with 1600-2500 rows.

--EV

Comment

To bring some closure to this thread, here is what I have done. It is a hack, and not mathematically satisfying. However, it also seems to be adequate for now. I wrote a simple custom indicator, specifically for Market Analyzer use, that does the following:
                • It checks whether the date/time of the last bar is within the last 7 days. I'm not interested in anything that has not traded in the last week anyway. In practice, this seems pretty good at getting rid of the chaff.
                • If so, it returns the closing price
                • If not, it returns -1

You can then filter on:
                • <= 0 to hide stocks not actually trading
                • Any price you like to hide stocks that are not in the price range you like to trade

As I said, it is a hack. It would be better to compare to the last open market date instead of 7 days, but I now of no sensible way to do that. (I consider something like using a SPY data series and looking at the last date to be too heavyweight for big Market Analyzers.)

As far as I can see, this meets my needs for now. Any better ideas are always welcome, so speak up if you have a better idea.

--EV

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                11 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post xiinteractive  
                Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                1 response
                0 likes