Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Directional Trend Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directional Trend Index

Just wondering if anyone has William Blau's Directional Trend Index coded up and are willing to share

Thanks

Hi ,

I'm not sure if the TSI (True Strength Index) is the same but that is included with NinjaTrader in the list of indicators.

I did some quick searching around and didn't find anything with the name Directional Trend Index as an indicator for NinjaTrader, however, I did find a site that shows the calculations for this.

http://www.motivewave.com/studies/di...rend_index.htm

I will also leave this thread open to any community members that may have such an indicator.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Chelsea - I don't believe that the TSI is the indicator I'm looking for, however the link you listed above does show the indicator I'm wanting. I'm no programmer though, so not able to do much with the code listed.

Peter H

Comment

I have coded several open source versions of that indicator. I have not yet published them, but willing to share. Just send me a private message.

The indicator can be compared to Wilders ADX. William Blau calculates a composite momentum from the highs and lows of the bars. Then both the composite momentum values and the absolute of the composite momentum values are smoothed. The two results are compared.

William Blau used most of his indicators with both double and triple exponential smoothing. The indicator allows for triple smoothing, but I have set the default value for the third smoothing period to 1, which means that the main plot only has double smoothing. I have then added a signal line, which allows to determine entry and exit signals. This version is also known as Ergodic DTI.

Attached is a chart showing the indicators.
        Attached Files

Comment

Directional Trend Index by William Blau

I have now published a version of the Directional Trend Index here:

Do we need to use COBC? will that be CPU sesitive? I couldn't find any recommendations on this setting. thank you! The indicator uses the same architecture as the Relative Volume indicator, but the logic is applied to ranges: Only to be used with minute or daily charts. The relative ranges indicator measures the range of a fixed period bar against the average range over the same period during the preceding n days. The version which can be downloaded here allows for two different comparisons: All_Days: …

The best futures trading community on the planet: futures trading, market news, trading charts, trading platforms, trading strategies

The version that I have published has a few extras:

(1) While William Blau always used exponential smoothing (either double or triple smoothing with an EMA), this indicator allows for smoothing with 16 different moving averages.

(2) The indicator comes with different trend definitions based on the Directional Trend Index. The trend (uptrend, downtrend or neutral) can be displayed via paint bars. The indicator can also be used as a "paintbar only" indicator.

(3) The indicator also comes with sound alerts.

You will also find enhanced versions of Blau's Double Smoothed Momentum, Double Smoothed Stochastics and True Strength Index indicators. In case you do not have elite membership at Big Mike's send me a private message.
          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post wzgy0920  
          Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes