Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

New to building indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to building indicators

Hi someone,

I’m currently using another program for my charting and want to duplicate everything in NT, so I can get rid of the other software. It looks like I will need to create various custom indicators and strategies. Since I’m new to writing and manipulating code I expect this to be a long haul.

For instance the Keltner I use paints the bars green when the average is rising and red when falling. In addition, it places a green/red dot in the first panel. So, the color of the bars on the chart will match the color of the dots in 1st panel.
    My guess is I can copy the current code for Keltner indicator into a new indicator and then add the proper code for the painting and dots….right?

If so, would anyone like to knock this out so I can see what code is, so I can then try to apply that to some other indicators? (Keltner is the only indicator that colors the bars. I have other indicators that will need to make dots in the first panel.

Much thanks for any help.
    -Steven

Originally posted by schaun_oh View Post
    Hi someone,

I’m currently using another program for my charting and want to duplicate everything in NT, so I can get rid of the other software. It looks like I will need to create various custom indicators and strategies. Since I’m new to writing and manipulating code I expect this to be a long haul.

For instance the Keltner I use paints the bars green when the average is rising and red when falling. In addition, it places a green/red dot in the first panel. So, the color of the bars on the chart will match the color of the dots in 1st panel.
    My guess is I can copy the current code for Keltner indicator into a new indicator and then add the proper code for the painting and dots….right?

If so, would anyone like to knock this out so I can see what code is, so I can then try to apply that to some other indicators? (Keltner is the only indicator that colors the bars. I have other indicators that will need to make dots in the first panel.

Much thanks for any help.
    -Steven
    Hi Steven,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader world. To create custom indicators and strategies you can get started by using the built in strategy and indicator wizards. You will want to read the help guide and follow the links to various videos to help show you how things work. The wizards are a bit limited in what they can do so if you need further customization then you can hire someone to do that or if you comfortable programming you can get as deep as you want into Ninjascript which is based on C#.

Good luck on your journey.

Comment

Hello schaun_oh,

Thank you for your post.

If you would like to take on learning NinjaScript, we have a fully documented help guide which will help you get started with Ninja Script. You will find language references to all of the methods and functions you will be using. You will also see a tutorial section which will help you create your first indicator and get you started with some of these concepts.
      A link to our Help Guide can be found below: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stribution.htm

I am also linking you to the Educational Resources section of the Help Guide to help you get started with NinjaScript: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._resources.htm

You will find Reference Samples online as well as some Tips and Tricks for both indicators and strategies:
      Click here to see our NinjaScript Reference Samples: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=30
      Click here to see our NinjaScript Tips: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3229

These samples can be downloaded, installed and modified from NinjaTrader and hopefully serve as a good base for your custom works.

There is a also a growing library of user submitted custom indicators (100+) that can be downloaded from our support form. Please look in the NinjaScript File Sharing section of our support forum as you may find what you are looking for there: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=37

If you have limited time or programming capabilities, you can discuss your requirements with any of our certified NinjaScript consultants.
      Click here for a list of certified NinjaScript Consultants: http://www.ninjatrader.com/Ecosystem/NonBroker.php#81

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Thanks for the message Tasker

Comment

Thank you Patrick for putting together all this information. I will check it all out.
          -Steven

Comment

What is the pre-requisite for learning Ninjascript?

Hi,

What is the pre-requisite for learning ninjascript? Is it C# or Javascript? I am asking this because both C# and javascript is different. Since ninjascript "sounds" like javascript, would you think it is more closely associated with javascript? or not? I am also aware that ninjascript is based on C#.

Please advise..

Thanks

Comment

Hello agassi,

Thank you for your post.

NinjaScript is based on Microsoft's C# programming language.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post DynamicTest  
              Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post ScottWalsh