• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Indicator Y-Axis visible range of values not useful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator Y-Axis visible range of values not useful

Hi all,

I have an indicator which can take values between 0 and 100 though most often the values are less than 1. If the value is >1 then the value is not shown on the indicator pane as the range of values shown is 0-1 in increments of 0.2. If the value is <1 the axis seems to zoom in on the value and show no other values on the axis. By this I mean if the value shown is 0.63, I won't see 0.6 or 0.5 above or below respectively as they will be far away at the current axis magnification. This indicator uses calls to the built-in ATR indicator for input. What do I need to do to make sure the Y-axis range is reasonable (show a range of values nearby) and always include the current indicator value?

Thanks,
    darmbk.

Hello darmbk,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please provide a screenshot of what you are seeing on the chart?
    To send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file. Click Reply -> Go Advanced -> Select the Paperclip icon on the toolbar

For detailed instructions please visit the following link

http://take-a-screenshot.org/

Additionally, would you be willing to share your script so that I can investigate this further?
    Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Cal,

I have found that the issue is related to Min Bars Required as I am using daily indicators on a 1 min chart.

During the first number of days of data, while there are no daily indicators displaying values (where I was stating that I saw just an axis of values from 0-1), when I print output to a file during these dates, my bespoke indicators report values that are not shown in the chart, perhaps creating averaged data simply from what data is available ignoring that for instance a 14 day indicator has fewer than 14 days data to calculate a value. Would this be correct? So for example, if I use a 14 day MA on a 1 min chart but only have 10 days of data, will the chart show blank but if I print out the same 14 day MA values the indicator will calculate it based on the days of data available even if this is less than 14 days?

So I understand the Y-Axis issue now. I will need to investigate this starting bars issue before I open a forum post on it.

Thanks,
      darmbk.

Comment

darmbk,

Essentially yes, this is correct.
        One thing to note is that you can change the BarsRequired to a lower value, BarsRequired = 1; in the Initialize().

Additionally, you can run a current bar check against the period to ensure the script has enough data before calculating.

Example -
        if(CurrentBar < Period) return;

This tells the script to only start running the rest of the code after the current bar has passed the value of Period.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
        Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 12:21 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post MarianApalaghiei  
        Started by williamzz, Today, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        0 likes