Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Idicator problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idicator problems

I had a indicator written for me by a programmer I no longer have contact with. I recently tried to use it in the Strategy Wizard, but I keep getting error messages and it wont work. could someone take a look at it for me and tell me what the problem is, will I be able to use this or will I need to hire a different programmer?

Thank you very much for your help

Scott
    Attached Files

Hi Scott, checked into it and I see two issues working with the wizard with it -

1. Plots would need to be configurable, so you can access them in the wizard for setting up your conditions. Right now the tool is visual only.

2. The custom color inputs will not be possible to get processed by the wizard interface unfortunately, that's the compile errors you would see after trying to setup your conditions.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Why don't you contact Affordable Indicators? Joel is alive and kicking.

Dan
      eDanny
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

I contacted the programmer, this was his reply, is this true?

"The indicator values are already exposed as public data series, MA1, MA2, and Spread. If you need help configuring it via the Strategy Analyzer, let me know, and we can do a screen sharing session. It requires some custom code writing due to the color inputs, as Bertrand stated. This is a NinjaTrader limitation."

Comment

Originally posted by san1313 View Post

"The indicator values are already exposed as public data series, MA1, MA2, and Spread. If you need help configuring it via the Strategy Analyzer, let me know, and we can do a screen sharing session. It requires some custom code writing due to the color inputs, as Bertrand stated. This is a NinjaTrader limitation."
          Is what part true?

Comment

Maybe my question should have been...

Is it possible for a custom indicator to be used in strategy wizard without additional programming as the programmer that made this for me suggested. I paid for an indicator, I want to use the indicator in ninjatrader just as i would use any other indicator in ninjatrader. if i get a indicator from an outside programmer, do i then need to be a programmer to use the indicator? do i need to learn to be a programmer... that really defeats the purpose of hiring one,,

Thanks

Comment

Maybe my question should have been...

Is it possible for a custom indicator to be used in strategy wizard without additional programming as the programmer that made this for me suggested. I paid for an indicator, I want to use the indicator in ninjatrader just as i would use any other indicator in ninjatrader. if i get a indicator from an outside programmer, do i then need to be a programmer to use the indicator? do i need to learn to be a programmer... that really defeats the purpose of hiring one,,

Thanks
              Unfortunately, the answer is both yes and no, or rather: "It depends". Even if you are using the wizard, you will still have to know what you want to do, and that involves programming, albeit the code is being generated for you. Unfortunately, wizards can only do what they are preprogrammed to do. That means that if what you want to do is not part of the design and programming of the wizard, then you have to write that code manually.

If you commission someone to write a program for you, you will have to tell that programmer what you want exposed for access. In this case, it would appear that that information was not part of the Technical Spec, if indeed there was even one. So the programmer would have exposed all the things that get exposed by default, as there was no requirement to expose anything else. If I have misread that, and something you wanted exposed was not exposed, you should take that up with the programmer.

That is why we refuse to even start writing code until there is a Technical Spec. in place.

Comment

koganam,

has it ever occurred to you that the people that hire programmers would not understand your "technical spec" it seems to me that programmers spend more time trying to justify doing as little as possible than the time it would take to perform the task that is expected of them... just my thoughts

with regards to using the indicator in the strategy wizard, you talked around the issue and not directly to the question.... can an indicator written by a programmer be used in the wizard? intentionally writing a program that is not functional in the "system" that it was written for, or trying to contractually exclude yourself from performing at a acceptable standard is a rather poor business model.

Comment

koganam,

has it ever occurred to you that the people that hire programmers would not understand your "technical spec" it seems to me that programmers spend more time trying to justify doing as little as possible than the time it would take to perform the task that is expected of them... just my thoughts
                  Yes, it has. That is precisely why we will not code without one. If there had been a Technical Spec., both you and the programmer would know exactly what you wanted to be done, there would be no miscommunication, and we might not be having this conversation. There is nothing arcane about a Technical Spec. It is just a clear statement of what the final product should do.
                  with regards to using the indicator in the strategy wizard, you talked around the issue and not directly to the question.... can an indicator written by a programmer be used in the wizard? intentionally writing a program that is not functional in the "system" that it was written for, or trying to contractually exclude yourself from performing at a acceptable standard is a rather poor business model.
                  The answer is "yes", provided you asked the programmer to make it possible to access what you want to access. Otherwise, what you get is what will be exposed by default: essentially any Plots, and any parameters that can be modified in the PropertyGrid of the indicator, and pretty much nothing else. So, provided you know what you want to do with the Plots, and other properties, you can access them with the wizard, and use them in whatever manner you wish, provided that that has been programmed into the wizard.

Computers are just very fast, senseless counting machines, whose state can be preserved, queried and acted upon. A computer will not do anything unless it is programmed to exactly do that. If you wanted something exposed for access, you should have told the programmer so. You can do so now.
                  ... trying to contractually exclude yourself from performing at a acceptable standard is a rather poor business model.
                  The acceptable standard would have been specified in the Technical Spec. Apparently, you neglected to do so. It is precisely to ensure that you cannot, after the fact, claim dissatisfaction, that a Technical Spec. should exist. Well, actually, you still could, but the Technical Spec. would show if the delivered product met the contractual obligations, and you would then not have a leg to stand on.

In other words, a Technical Spec. limits the scope of the project ab initio, so that you cannot be adding requirements ad nauseam, ad infinitum. Infinite "scope creep" is the bane of development, and in our experience the main reason that customers try to resist having one. Not a lack of understanding: rather a desire to be able to creep the scope infinitely, and then claim dissatisfaction when the developer calls a halt. That, of course, is impossible, if there is an extant, agreed, signed, scope-delimiting document.
                  Last edited by koganam; 09-25-2014, 10:01 AM. Reason: Changed sentence structure.

Comment

koganam,

Used in the wizard?? As soon as you unlock the code to program anything - it can no longer be used in the "WIZARD". How to rectify that? Take that up with NT.

And you have also never heard of SCOPE CREEP.

Comment

Thanks for the input here koganam and sledge.

Hi Scott, your programmers reply is correct, due to the Color Inputs it would need a bit of custom coding to call. Why not take him up on the offer to explain and show a config during a screen share session? That you could learn how to most effectively use the created study for your work. The environment offered is very flexible and powerful, the wizard can provide a very straightforward way to learn the syntax and create basic models, at some point though you will eventually see the limits of a point and click approach, which I feel is natural. At this point the code construct could be unlocked and further modified by code. You cannot go back to the wizard though, so saving a wizard version before actually unlocking the script would be recommended just in case.

Comment

why can ninjatraders indicators be used in the wizard and not mine, the ninjatrader indicators have color as well, correct?

Comment

Hi Scott, this is not correct - if you supply the color in a direct user color input > it would not be possible to call without code changes from the wizard interface.

See for example this tip - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=4977

Comment

any one can help me? I got this error message in my cache folder

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
                            To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
                            Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
                            To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog]

Comment

flexer, can you please open a new thread for this unrelated issue? Thanks much.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by josh18955, 03-25-2023, 11:16 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Delerium  
                              Started by FAQtrader, Today, 03:35 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes