Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Fastest way to learn ninjascript???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastest way to learn ninjascript???

I would like to start creating my own custom stuff but do not know where to start.

I am fluent with EasyLanguage/PowerLanguage, but feel a bit lost with Ninja's script.

I keep seeing C#, C++, and .net...

Do I need to know all 3 or is there one path that I can take to learn how to program indicators???

Thanks for the help

Hello,

Thank you for the question.

NinjaScript is C# and only C# just for reference. When you hear .NET framework, C# is included with this framework but the .NET framework encompasses multiple languages.

for simplicity, when someone mentions .NET or C# when speaking about NinjaTrader, they are referring only to C#.

You would not need to learn anything other than C# fundamentals as you are not going to be creating a whole application but rather using the syntax from C# which NinjaTrader understands.

For learning NinjaScript I usually recommend if you have never used or programmed in C# to first look online for some general C# tutorials involving Operators, Branching statements (if statements), or general syntax.

The syntax will look different and perform slightly different for each language you learn so this will be similar but different than what you are currently doing.

Once you have a grasp on the general syntax of C# the NinjaScript documentation will make a lot more sense. There are many examples and help items for NinjaScript I will put some links below to help get you started.

The NinjaScript reference: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._reference.htm

The NinjaScript Forum: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...isplay.php?f=6

The Reference Samples Forum: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=29

These links will help in learning NinjaScript, you can also view indicators source code in Ninjatrader by going to Tools -> Edit NinjaScript -> Indicator or Strategy -> Select an item and press ok.
    This would open a NinjaScript editor and allow you to see how indicators or strategies are created.

Please let me know if I may be of additional assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

IMO, the fastest way is to edit sample indicators, assuming you have already had basic understandings about C#. If you have not, please first google and learn the basics of C# first.

Regards,
      Pi
      Last edited by ninZa; 01-05-2015, 05:58 PM.
      ninZa
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - ninZa.co

Comment

Originally posted by SinatraFan View Post
        I would like to start creating my own custom stuff but do not know where to start.

I am fluent with EasyLanguage/PowerLanguage, but feel a bit lost with Ninja's script.

I keep seeing C#, C++, and .net...

Do I need to know all 3 or is there one path that I can take to learn how to program indicators???

Thanks for the help
        In addition, go through the tutorials in the help to get an idea of flow.

Also, Scott Daggett has an ebook for sale. I have not read it (I'm a programmer by trade and pick things up quick)... but it should help explain things.

NinjaScript C# programming tutorial ebook available on Smashwords.com

And it's only $5.99.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by rdtdale, Today, 01:02 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post rdtdale
        by rdtdale

Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM