Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Frustrated with a compiler error message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated with a compiler error message

I am trying to create the simplest indicator that will just return the value of standard Momentum. The help files show examples that I copied but the code won't compile due to a CS0120 error message that directs me to a Microsoft site that I can't understand. If anyone can help me get past the compiler error, I would appreciate it. This is my first attempt at creating an indicator and this should be a no-brainer.

About the only line of code I inserted was:

double value = Momentum (3) [1]

I just want the Momentum (period = 3) for the previous bar. The error message points to the work Momentum and states:

"An object reference is required for the non-static field, method, or property 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.Indicator.Momentum ()".

I also tried typing in the long text preceding the word Momentum but still get the same error message. I followed the example in the tutorials and this should have been a simple task. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hello Geneo,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

Is the code the following?
    Code:
    double value = Momentum(3)[1];

Comment

Thanks for the reply. However, that is the exact command that gets the error message. When I click on the error message, it highlights the word "Momentum". The error message reads: An object reference is required for the non-static field, method, or property NinjaTrader.Indicator.Indicator.Momemtun (int).

Is there something else I needed to define earlier in the indicator settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Geneo View Post
        Thanks for the reply. However, that is the exact command that gets the error message. When I click on the error message, it highlights the word "Momentum". The error message reads: An object reference is required for the non-static field, method, or property NinjaTrader.Indicator.Indicator.Momemtun (int).

Is there something else I needed to define earlier in the indicator settings?
        Please try:

double value = 0;
        if (CurrentBar != 0) value = Momentum(3)[1];
        ninZa
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - ninZa.co

Comment

Hello Geneo,

Where are you placing this line of code? It should be placed inside the OnBarUpdate() method.

Comment

I have attached a screen capture of the indicator code along with the error message. When I click on the error message it highlights the word 'Momentum" on line 43. I think the code is in the correct location. I still get the same error message. I also tried the previous suggestion which gave me more error messages. This seemed like an easy exercise for a beginner - where did I go wrong?
            Attached Files

Comment

I have attached a screen capture of the indicator code along with the error message. When I click on the error message it highlights the word 'Momentum" on line 43. I think the code is in the correct location. I still get the same error message. I also tried the previous suggestion which gave me more error messages. This seemed like an easy exercise for a beginner - where did I go wrong?
              Please put the statement INSIDE OnBarUpdate. Move it to the line #41, Geneo.
              Also, please use the suggestion I gave previously.
              ninZa

Comment

Good News! I inserted your suggestion into the "OnBarUpdate()" section and was able to get a clean compile. However, the resulting answer is not correct. The value returned is the current day's CLOSE price, not the value for Momentum. I have attached a copy of the code.
                Attached Files

Comment

Good News! I inserted your suggestion into the "OnBarUpdate()" section and was able to get a clean compile. However, the resulting answer is not correct. The value returned is the current day's CLOSE price, not the value for Momentum. I have attached a copy of the code.
                  We made a progress

How do you check the values?
                  You have neither plotted them nor printed them out, as I see from your code.

Thanks.
                  Pi
                  ninZa

Comment

I have placed the new indicator into a Market Analyzer. I can then have the values displayed for numerous stocks that are in the Market Analyzer. I am only interested in retrieving the VALUE of the Momentum for the previous day. That is why I am working on this specific indicator. I also display the standard Momentum for the current day in the Market Analyzer which works flawlessly. Can I assume that the code in this new custom indicator retrieves the VALUE of Momentum(3)[1] ?

Comment

I have placed the new indicator into a Market Analyzer. I can then have the values displayed for numerous stocks that are in the Market Analyzer. I am only interested in retrieving the VALUE of the Momentum for the previous day. That is why I am working on this specific indicator. I also display the standard Momentum for the current day in the Market Analyzer which works flawlessly. Can I assume that the code in this new custom indicator retrieves the VALUE of Momentum(3)[1] ?
                      Nope. You have not done that.

Please add those codes:
                      DataSeries prevMomentum;

[Browsable(false)]
                      [XmlIgnore()]
                      public DataSeries PrevMomentum {
                      get { return prevMomentum; }
                      }
                      In Initialize:
                      prevMomentum = new DataSeries(this);
                      In OnBarUpdate:
                      if (CurrentBar == 0) prevMomentum.Set(0);
                      else prevMomentum.Set(Momentum(3)[1]);
                      Then in Market Analyzer, please choose the PrevMomentum in the Plot field. Remember to select the timeframe to be 1 Day as well.

Cheers,
                      Pi
                      ninZa

Comment

Pi,

I received a compiler error pointing to the item: [Xmllgnore. Was there a typo? Is this an external reference? The Xmllgnore attribute could not be found.

Thanks for your continued assistance.

Comment

Please provide me a screenshot of your code where you put my suggestions.

Thanks.
                          ninZa

Comment

Here is a screenshot of my updated code. If I placed the code in the wrong location, please indicate what lines to enter the code. Thanks again.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You put it correctly.

Please copy ALL of your code lines and document it as a word or notepad file. (yes, Ctrl + A to select all)

I need to test your code on my end

Thanks.
                              ninZa

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Brevo