Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Linebreak indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linebreak indicators

Is there, does anybody have an indicator for linebreak charts to alert you when a bar closes? Is there one that shows the actual range of each bar?

Hello Labdog,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

I am not aware of such an indicator, but it could be made in NinjaScript. If you would like to take on learning NinjaScript, we have a fully documented help guide which will help you get started with Ninja Script. You will find language references to all of the methods and functions you will be using. You will also see a tutorial section which will help you create your first indicator and get you started with some of these concepts.
    A link to our Help Guide can be found below: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stribution.htm

I am also linking you to the Educational Resources section of the Help Guide to help you get started with NinjaScript: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._resources.htm

You will find Reference Samples online as well as some Tips and Tricks for both indicators and strategies:
    Click here to see our NinjaScript Reference Samples: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=30
    Click here to see our NinjaScript Tips: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3229

These samples can be downloaded, installed and modified from NinjaTrader and hopefully serve as a good base for your custom works.

There is a also a growing library of user submitted custom indicators (100+) that can be downloaded from our support form. Please look in the NinjaScript File Sharing section of our support forum as you may find what you are looking for there: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=37

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Hello Patrick,

There seem to be a couple posts missing from this thread? At least one reply to the original post and my reply to it.

Comment

Hello Labdog,

Thanks for your reply.

The support forum had some repairs from this weekend that may have removed the messages.
        Below are the items I have been able to recover from this thread.

"---Quote (Originally by Labdog)--- Is there, does anybody have an indicator for linebreak charts to alert you when a bar closes? Is there one that shows the actual range of each bar? ---End Quote--- Something that will do this will be very easy to work up (for someone who's used to coding) and can also be done with the Wizard. It would work with any bar type. Have you tried this?

Anyway, could you please state what type of alert you would like? Sound? Visual? If so, what type?"

"For now an audible alert repeating for a set amount of time would do the trick. Eventually it would audibly alert only a bar close of a size greater than the value I determine. I try not to go too far beyond the basics of NT. I don't have time to troubleshoot when I mess things up, this summer maybe. For audible alerts I just pick one of the sound files. Would an indicator showing the actual range of each bar be difficult?? Say a dash above and below the bar displayed. I use a linebreak and a time chart each set with global crosshair. It's time consuming."
        BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Labdog View Post
          Hello Patrick,

There seem to be a couple posts missing from this thread? At least one reply to the original post and my reply to it.
          HI Labdog

Thanks, Brandon, for retrieving part of my message that got lost over the weekend! There was obviously a serious problem - I found it very difficult to log on.

This is what Brandon kindly retrieved:

Something that will do this will be very easy to work up (for someone who's used to coding) and can also be done with the Wizard. It would work with any bar type. Have you tried this?

Anyway, could you please state what type of alert you would like? Sound? Visual? If so, what type?
          Labdog, what you're asking for is mostly very simple, (and although I've never worked with Linebreak bars, I guess they work, in terms of coding, just like any other sort of bar) except this part of your request:

For now an audible alert repeating for a set amount of time...
          This I could get a workaround for but it'll take me too much time, and would involve a second series. (Maybe some Forum guru could do this without one but I can't think of a way.) The alert is no prob at all, it's just the repeating bit...

I was hoping to do this over the weekend but I gave up with all the problems.

Labdog, if no one (including me) has done this by next Saturday, please post again or PM me.

Cheers.
          Last edited by arbuthnot; 02-09-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Thank's arbuthnot, I've never coded yet and am just getting back into trading. I just need a simple audible alarm that goes off for say 15-60 seconds when a bar closes on a linebreak chart. Would you know if there any linebreak indicator that shows the actual range of each bar, not just the printed bar??

Comment

Labdog,

Nice to hear from you and to see that our messages haven't been deleted!

Firstly, I doubt there exist any Linebreak specific indicators (most aren't any-type-of-bar specific) and Linebreak is a pretty rare approach. But all the Ninja code approaches should work just as well with them as with time, range, renko bars, etc.

Getting the range of a bar is the simplest thing (once you've done some coding). That will take me 2˝ microseconds or less. (That's slow compared with some of the guys in the Forum...) Where do you want these ranges shown? In the Output Window or on the chart itself?

The solution to your alert problem is to record a .wav file yourself (this can be done within Windows and is the only sound file Ninja accepts for alerts). Just record something that lasts as long as you want it.

The best thing is, my friend, is for you to record something (this I can't do), let me know the name of the .wav file, and I'll incorporate it into the code.

Just google "Ninjatrader sound files" and you'll find out all you'll need to know.

To convert other types of sound file to .wav, go here and it's free of charge:

Comment

arbuthnot,

The range of the bars would be shown on the chart itself, just a small yellow dot above and below each actual bar, showing each bars range as your chart continues ploting. Is it possible for the current bar have the high and low dots moving each time a new high or low is reached on it??

If you put a simple name on the wav file you use in the code I will name my alert recording that. baralert is a good name. Thank's again for the help.

Comment

arbuthnot,

The range of the bars would be shown on the chart itself, just a small yellow dot above and below each actual bar, showing each bars range as your chart continues ploting. Is it possible for the current bar have the high and low dots moving each time a new high or low is reached on it??

If you put a simple name on the wav file you use in the code I will name my alert recording that. baralert is a good name. Thank's again for the help.
                  The new high or low dots is getting complex. New high or low can mean anything - it depends over what period. Let's keep it simple.

Sorry, I'll only have very limited time. Remember, a consultant may charge hundreds of dollars even for something very simple. I'm not a consultant but I have a lot of coding to do for myself!

Certainly, the bar's range can be shown over each bar.

Comment

arbuthnot,

Labdog

I'm attaching the indicator as much as I can interpret your requests - this works, I've tested it on spot eur/usd..

- It gives a different (system) alert if the the bar closes up or down. Change the .wav file name in the code to the name you've given your own sound file.

- A request of yours was:

The range of the bars would be shown on the chart itself, just a small yellow dot above and below each actual bar
                    Forgive me, my friend, I don't see how a dot can give the range of bar. Did you mean 'direction of bar' (i.e. up or down bar)?

What I have given you is the actual range (distance top to bottom) in text above each bar. Because all Forex pairs are something like '1.4140', etc, the variable Multiplier works for Forex only. For some with integer values, like the ES, change this variable to 1, or experiment.

Please see the attached image, showing a LineBreak chart showing range of bars in text.

Please follow Patrick's advice in post #2. The only way to really learn to use the full potential of NinjaTrader and NinjaScript is to learn about coding.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello arbuthnot, Just reading your post now. I'll post back later when I get some time to try it out.
                      Thank's for taking the time to help me out, I appreciate it very much.

Comment

Hello arbuthnot, just been trying out your indicator. Works great. Just going to change the wav's to something a little longer. If I could bother you for just a couple more coding questions, I attached a chart for a visual. Linbreak bars show only a part of the actual price they reach. Could tails be added showing where the price really went for that bar? Could these lines be also formed on the live bar showing just like a time frame bar would leave tails as it forms? Not asking you specifically to make it, but is an indicator showing tails on a linebreak chart possible??

Thank's for the help.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Labdog; 02-13-2015, 12:15 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Hello arbuthnot, just been trying out your indicator. Works great. Just going to change the wav's to something a little longer. If I could bother you for just a couple more coding questions, I attached a chart for a visual. Linbreak bars show only a part of the actual price they reach. Could tails be added showing where the price really went for that bar? Could these lines be also formed on the live bar showing just like a time frame bar would leave tails as it forms? Not asking you specifically to make it, but is an indicator showing tails on a linebreak chart possible??

Thank's for the help.
                          Labdog,

Glad you found the indicator helpful.

I'm learning a lot from this thread myself as I knew next to nothing about Linebreak charts and they look very interesting. (I'm a bit of a 'Renko' freak myself but I'm beginning to wonder if Linebreak has an edge...)

That's a great question about the Linebreak tails. I see how helpful these would be. It's probably beyond my present skills to do at all and certainly efficiently, so I posted the question here:

You couldn't do me a bit of a favor, Labdog? Could you very kindly give me a bit of an idea (either in this thread or in a PM) about how you trade with Linebreak and why you think they're worth working with. Much obliged.

Also, are you interested in working towards an automated strategy?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ed

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by maybeimnotrader, Yesterday, 05:46 PM
                          2 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post maybeimnotrader  
                          Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                          5 responses