Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What use is the indicator wizard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What use is the indicator wizard?

I'm a great fan of the Strategy Wizard, but really, how useful is the indicator wizard in comparison?

It doesn't seem to be able to do more than add plots and oscillator lines.

If a user doesn't know how to add a plot line, what type of indicator will they be able to code?

This is no "wizard", its more like the weird uncle who tries to convince you he's pulling quarter's out of your ears and its 'magic'

Many of these concerns may already be addressed in the "Script is Script" thread, but for me, the most frustrating part of NinjaTrader is that rather than shared functionality, great features seem to be implemented haphazardly in some aspects of the program.

Powerful functions in one section feel like neutered beta versions in another...

WHY IS THERE NO CONDITION BUILDER IN THE INDICATOR WIZARD????

A couple other frustrating examples of this...

-No "CrossAbove/CrossBelow" in the Market Analyzer...

-No "InputSeries" for indicators, making it impossible to calculate an indicator based on anything other than the close data, yet the strategy wizard allows any value to be selected, including the results of other indicators.

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS IN NT 6.5.X

Unfortunately you are too limited in providing some point and click functionality with indicator development compared to strategy development.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Huh?

Is this a consideration for future releases of NT or not?

I agree, this would be a great feature to implement for the non programmer and with the outstanding strategy wizard already implemented, it only seems like a natural progression...

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
        Unfortunately you are too limited in providing some point and click functionality with indicator development compared to strategy development.
        While I agree its limited I think you might be surprised what could be accomplished. While some manual tweaking is going to be required, its really helpful for getting the basic structure of an indicator down, especially when its based on combination of other indicators.

I've been using the strategy wizard with some success as a workaround (for plotting conditions, without orders), and I'm convinced many novice programmers and non-programmers would much rather work with the limitations of condition based indicator building than having nothing at all.

I've tried copying the 'strategy' code to an indicator and changing a few obvious things (class etc.), but I couldn't get it to compile...

If there is a way to do it, I'd love to know.

Comment

I'd agree. I don't use the strategy stuff much lately, but a number of times I'd have a strategy that was turning into an indicator, but couldn't make the transition because "That's not supported."

If the tools on the strat side were available in the indicator wizard, you'd have something there.

Comment

Generally the only relevant sections of code are inside the OnBarUpdate() method. (plus the Variables and maybe some of the Properties sections)
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

"Automatically Inserting Actions And Conditions" for Indicators

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post

Sorry to keep harping on this, but I just discovered one more reason to add condition builder support for indicators that goes beyond the indicator 'wizard'.

The NinjaScript Editor can automatically generate code for you by accessing the right mouse button click context menu sub menu's "Insert Action..." and/or "Insert Condition...". These features can help you in your learning curve of NinjaScript and C# and also provide correct syntax in the event that you need a little assistance.

http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...onditions.html

NinjaScript right-click context menu for indicators.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post wzgy0920  
              Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
              5 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post wzgy0920