Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Instructional videos on making indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instructional videos on making indicators

HI, I learn more easily watching videos, I want to learn how to make my own indicator. I have searched here with "video" and got nothing. I have used the help file in NT7 -but can't seem to find any instructional videos. II have searched google. So I am looking for videos to help me learn. Any URLs? Thanks in advance, Ian

Hello aquarian1,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our YouTube channel has a video here dedicated to learning NinjaScript. This should be helpful in developing your own indicator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZpo01eSO9c

We have a weekly series of live, interactive webinars featuring tips and tutorials on using different features of NinjaTrader that can be very useful as you become familiar with NinjaTrader. You can see a schedule of upcoming live webinar events at the link below:

If you cannot attend a live event, feel free to watch any of the pre-recorded versions of these events at your leisure. You can find a list of pre-recorded events at the link below:

Recordings of our daily NinjaTrader product training webinars.

Please, let us know if we may be of further assistance!
    Zachary G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

videos

Thank-you attached is a screensnap of the google channel video. As you can see it is blurry. ??

Comment

Hello aquarian1,

Please check your settings on the video.

You can do this by clicking on the gear icon. This icon is the second icon from the right in your screenshot.

A small box should appear that will allow you to change the resolution of the video. Please click on 720p.

Zachary G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ZacharyG View Post
          Hello aquarian1,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our YouTube channel has a video here dedicated to learning NinjaScript. This should be helpful in developing your own indicator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZpo01eSO9c

Hi Zack,

Tks.

The link you have given is for a strategy not an indicator

Could you please give me an URL for an indicator?

tks

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

The video is of a strategy, this is because the strategy has a wizard and needs a fairly detailed explanation on how it works in contrast to how NinjaScript works.

Because NinjaScript is essentially C# programming language, for indicators there is not really a video that can describe these all at once, none that I know of anyway.

Indicators allow you to visually display data on charts and perform calculations, for these we have a lot of reference samples that you can import and see and also see the code to know how it works. Also we have a large documentation on NinjaScript which allows you to access NinjaTraders chart tools and other methods.

For indicators there is a basic wizard when you create them to set up plots and other variables. Outside of that scope the indicator could go a number of different ways so for flexibility a new code editor is open allowing you to type out whatever you want it to do.

I would recommend watching the strategy video to become comfortable with NinjaScript in general, after that I would recommend looking at some of the basic indicators source code to see how they work. You can do this by going to Tools -> Edit NinjaScript -> Indicator -> SMA and this would show how the SMA works.

From here you may look at the reference examples: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=30

Also the help guide for items you may not know about yet:http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._reference.htm

Additionally if you are new to C#, sections 5 - 11 of this page are relevant to NinjaScript, learning basic C# syntax will greatly improve your experience in creating indicators: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/C_Sharp_Essentials

Finally, any concepts or programming items you are unfamiliar with you can always ask through support or on the forum here to get assistance in your learning NinjaScript.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
            JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks.

In NT in the help files there is a text tutorial of making an indicator. It goes through the process in TEXT. I learn better via video demo. There isn't any thing to stop NT from making a video of what they have in the help files in TEXT.

You an I both know it is a very simple a quick process for an NT rep to do this. It was done in the past.

(perhaps you are newa t NT?) NT used to have embeded in their help files such videos (in earlier versions of NT not sure if it was 5 or 6). So we both know that it is not hard to make a video to describe it.

You didn't need to go to youtube. My screen is small. Almost all youtubes I can see fine. it is only NT ones that are a prb.

"Because NinjaScript is essentially C# programming language, for indicators there is not really a video that can describe these all at once, none that I know of anyway."
              We both know that it is not hard to make a video to describe it.
              eg.

Make a video to build a moving average with optional user inputs for weightings for the last three terms.

-this is an example only IT IS NOT A REQUEST FOR NT TO MAKE ME AN INDICATOR.

To tell me there is lots of examples of code is a little like telling someone to "go fish"
              I knew this before asking for a reference to VIDEO TUTORIALS OF MAKING AN INDICATOR.

This has become a long thread with lots of my time wasted -- first sending me to a video to strategies and then saying what can easily be done can't easily be done.

If NT is too lazy or not interested to do it that's OK - its their choice. Please just don't waste user time when a more honest response would be:

"Thanks for the thread. I will talk with my colleges. At this time I don't know of existing video tutorials though they could easily be made and we have done so in the past. It's a great suggestion and I will forward it to the team and post some videos in this thread in the next couple of days!!"

Last edited by aquarian1; 05-31-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Here's mud in your eye!!

Making an indicator #1a
                how to use NT wizard
                and edit the calculation logic
                Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Making an indicator #1b
                Compile it and stick it on a chart
                plus a bit trading and how you might adjust the calc logic
                Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Comment

Edit try doh1

Edit try doh2

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by terofs, Yesterday, 04:18 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post terofs
                  by terofs

Started by CommonWhale, Today, 09:55 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes