Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Time and tick update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time and tick update

Hello,

What is the smallest update of time that an indicator can be created for when analyzing incoming tick data? for example; i'd like to see how fast orders are coming in on time and sales screen. the below gives a running count of how many ticks that occur in a bar. but is there a way to perhaps get the speed of these orders? a sample code would be very much appreciated. i'm not sure what to do!

Code:
                TckCount.Set(Bars.TickCount);

Hello calhawk01,

Thanks for your post.

In NT7 you are limited to 1 second time resolution so unless your datafeed natively timestamps the bars you will likely get many ticks in the 1 second (depending on volatility). You might be better to look at a tick bar and divide the tick bar by the duration of the bar to determine , for example, the ticks per second.

A search of the forum yields this thread that may be of some assistance in your query as it contains an indicator using the code you are interested in: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=47331
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Paul View Post
      Hello calhawk01,

Thanks for your post.

In NT7 you are limited to 1 second time resolution so unless your datafeed natively timestamps the bars you will likely get many ticks in the 1 second (depending on volatility). You might be better to look at a tick bar and divide the tick bar by the duration of the bar to determine , for example, the ticks per second.

A search of the forum yields this thread that may be of some assistance in your query as it contains an indicator using the code you are interested in: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=47331

thanks will take a look at that. for now can you speculate on one thing for me:

the above code that i posted in my OP. Nets about 70 ticks per minute. I'm using TD Ameritrade as my connection. And it's yieling 70 ticks for ETF SPY. SPY is one of the most traded instrument in the world. Why such low tick per month? Thats almost only 1 trade per second. What am i missing? Is this because TD ameritrade only aggregates their data per second or something?

-------------

also if i want to get data that's faster than 1 second. what are my options with NT? i'm thinking rithmic? does rithmic provide time stamps also per tick? if yes, how does NT handle that scenario since NT can't show anything less than a second??

thanks
      Last edited by staycool3_a; 09-18-2015, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Hello calhawk01,

Thank you for your response.

The TickCount would be what is provided per bar. If the data feed aggregates ticks then that would explain low tick counts.

There are several data feeds that support real-time unfiltered data such Kinetick. Brokerage connections may vary and you would need to contact the broker for information on there data feed.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by timko, Today, 06:45 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post timko
        by timko

Started by JonesJoker, 04-22-2024, 12:23 PM
        8 responses
        0 likes