Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Multiple Time Frame Solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Time Frame Solution?

After scouring the web for about an hour I've yet to find a solution to the NT7 multiple time frame dilemma. In my two other platforms, FXCM Marketscope 2.0 and MT4, I have the ability to choose my time frame on certain oscillators. I only use the Stochastic but being able to have the default period on top of a higher time frame period (separate window in order to keep chart relatively neat) saves me time and is visually helpful. However, I can't find a similar solution for NT7. After reading through some posts on here I figure I might have to just code it myself, maybe just take the default code and add the option for changing the data series. I have no coding experience though, and don't know how I would go about doing this.

Any suggestions?

The best solution is to code it yourself. There are four different approaches that would allow for solving your problem:

(a) tweaking indicator parameters
    (b) coding an indicator that builds composite bars from the primary bars on the chart
    (c) coding an indicator which loads secondary bars which in turn are used for calculating the Stochastics
    (d) adding a secondary bar series to your chart, set that bar series to transparent and then select the secondary bar series as input series for the Stochastics (no coding required)

The chart below shows an indicator that uses the approach (b). The Stochastics is calculated from composite bars.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Harry; 10-25-2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Hello jrichardson83,

Could you please provide a screenshot to help illustrate exactly what you are trying to do?
      If you are trying to have an indicator on a chart with a different data series than the bars, this is certainly possible. The only issue is that you will lose equidistant bar spacing. Please try the following steps:

1) Create a new chart by going to File -> New -> Chart
      2) Add an instrument and set the period to 5 minutes
      3) Add the same instrument again and set the period to 1 minute
      4) Set the ChartStyle of the smaller data series to "Line On Close" and then set the Color to "Transparent".
      5) Press OK to open the chart
      6) Add an indicator by pressing CTRL + I on your keyboard
      7) Set the indicator to the smaller data series
      8) Press OK

If this is not what you are trying to do, please elaborate further so I may better assist.
      Thank you in advance.
      Michael M.NinjaTrader Quality Assurance

Comment

Thanks Harry,

Sounds like options B and D seem fairly simple to do. I'll give it a go.

Comment

Not quite

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_MichaelM View Post
          Hello jrichardson83,

Could you please provide a screenshot to help illustrate exactly what you are trying to do?
          If you are trying to have an indicator on a chart with a different data series than the bars, this is certainly possible. The only issue is that you will lose equidistant bar spacing. Please try the following steps:

1) Create a new chart by going to File -> New -> Chart
          2) Add an instrument and set the period to 5 minutes
          3) Add the same instrument again and set the period to 1 minute
          4) Set the ChartStyle of the smaller data series to "Line On Close" and then set the Color to "Transparent".
          5) Press OK to open the chart
          6) Add an indicator by pressing CTRL + I on your keyboard
          7) Set the indicator to the smaller data series
          8) Press OK

If this is not what you are trying to do, please elaborate further so I may better assist.
          Thank you in advance.
          Michael,

Not quite what I'm looking for. Essentially, the option that I need is to change the data period from within the indicator. Attached is a couple images from my other platforms. In both instances, the oscillators are "stacked" with the default period on top of the next higher timeframe. If you look on the second image, you can see where I have the option of choosing the "data source" within the indicator parameters.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes I am looking to do similar. However, having the loss of properly spaced bars is unacceptable. A sample indicator showing the daily bollinger band on another timeframe chart would be ideal. Anyone have such a script?

Comment

Hello,

I have created an example for another customer (based on the CCI) which you can find here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=78810
              If you compare the code there to the built-in CCI indicator, you can see a basic example of how to adjust an indicator to have a period input. Then when you add the indicator to your chart, you simply select the period you want it to display.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
              Michael M.NinjaTrader Quality Assurance

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_MichaelM View Post
                Hello,

I have created an example for another customer (based on the CCI) which you can find here: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=78810
                If you compare the code there to the built-in CCI indicator, you can see a basic example of how to adjust an indicator to have a period input. Then when you add the indicator to your chart, you simply select the period you want it to display.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
                Thanks, Michael. When I get a chance I'll give that coding a shot.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                5 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post jeronymite