• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Trailing Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailing Indicator

I wanted to create an indicator showing the 3 day highest high and lowest low, which is similar to Donchain Channel. Something like what I've attached. I was wondering how should I programme it.
    Attached Files

Hello,
    Hello,
    Use DrawHorizontalLine() to draw lines representing your 3 day high and 3 day low values. I have included an example below of how to accomplish this.

Code:
    protected override void Initialize()
            {      Add(PeriodType.Day, 1);
            }

protectedoverridevoid OnBarUpdate() { stopPricehigh = High[ 0]; if(High[ 0] <= HighestBar(Highs[ 1], 3)) { ExitLongStop(stopPricehigh); } stopPrice = Low[ 0]; if(Low[ 0] <= LowestBar(Lows[ 1], 3)) { ExitLongStop(stopPrice); } DrawHorizontalLine( "HighLine" , stopPricehigh, Color.Black); DrawHorizontalLine( "LowLine" , stopPrice, Color.Black);
    Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What you have attached is a Donchian Channel displaced by one bar.

Simply take the standard Donchian Channel and set the Displacement to +1.

Attached is a screenshot showing a displaced Donchian Channel for the section of the ES chart that you have posted.

It is my own version of the Donchian Channel, which has a trend filter added.
      Attached Files

Comment

May I know what does the () and [] mean in DonchianChannel? For example: DonchianChannel(1).Lower[10]

And can someone tell me whats the difference between period n bar? Thx
        Last edited by JT1230; 11-11-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JT1230 View Post
          May I know what does the () and [] mean in DonchianChannel? For example: DonchianChannel(1).Lower[10]

And can someone tell me whats the difference between period n bar? Thx
          (1) is the lookback period. To implement your idea you would need to set the lookback period to 3.

[10] indicates the bar which is used to perform calculations. A value of 10 indicates that the last bar used for calculations was 10 bars ago. 0 designs the current bar.

For example DonchianChannel(1).Lower[10] means the lower channel of a 1-period Donchian Channel (this would be just the low) calculated 10 bars ago. Therefore it will return the low of the bar 10 bars ago.

Comment

Hello JT1230,
            Harry is correct. The () holds a value for the period or number of bars used in the calculation. The [] holds a int value specifying the number of bars ago.
            I have included the Donchian Channel Help Guide to assist you further.
            Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Sorry I'm a newbie, please bear with me. I didn't get what you meant. Are you saying that both Periods and Bars ago are for calculation? It would be easier for me to comprehend if you can attach a picture for me to compare.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Gerik, Today, 10:58 PM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes
              Last Post Gerik
              by Gerik

Vps by stooby
              Started by stooby, Today, 08:32 PM