Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Spread charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spread charts

Hi!
    Is there any way to plot spread charts: I mean (n times this index) minus (m times another index)
    I mean index by index, shares, futures, etc...
    ?
    Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately this is not supported.

Comment

Eswap,

It is my understanding that if you can create a value, you can plot it.

Don't take the canned response from support to mean it can't be done. That is something they don't seem to make clear.

It can be very frustrating and cause you to stop dead in your tracks, but you will find many members of the forum have found many a way to skin a cat that was "unfortunately not supported".

What you are asking for is pretty straight forward. If esignal can do it, ninja can as well.

Look into multiple instruments and multiple time frames. I was looking to do the same thing.

r2kTrader

Originally posted by eswap0 View Post
      Hi!
      Is there any way to plot spread charts: I mean (n times this index) minus (m times another index)
      I mean index by index, shares, futures, etc...
      ?
      Thanks a lot!

Comment

Hello r2ktrader,

If something is not supported, it does not mean it is not possible; it outside of the scope we provide support for.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,

How would you interpret Dierk's response to the poster's question? Personally, I would take it as. Well, NT can't do this. End of story.

But you know, and I know, that it is simply not true. NT can do what this poster wanted to do. He was not even told to search the forums.

Why wasn't this poster referred to a thread like this one?

Or maybe directing him toward this thread?

Perfect solution? No, but would it help him toward his goal, I think so.

Hey, it's your company. I'm just trying to share with you the perspective of how your clients see things. I know how it is being on this side and I understand the weight placed on a support team. Neither side is easy. So when you get the "blow off" canned response, heck, you may as well call AT&T to get your bill adjusted. You might have better luck.

I don't mind shelling out 1k for the lifetime license, it's the best deal going, particularly with the ability to incorporate C# verses some proprietary language and being able to serve as a router to multiple brokers and finally, to be able to port my ELD code to another broker without converting. All good stuff. But I am getting pretty frustrated with that most annoying response from support.

Again, it's your company. If you fail, then my 1k will fail. I also would have liked to work with an eswap0 because I am trying to figure out the same issue. Instead, I have a dead thread and no support for this other than a support post reiterating what was said by Dierk. Great. That should help the next person looking for information on how to do the plotting of the ever essential spread trades. TED Spread, Index spread, ... I mean come on Josh.

It is very frustrating. Can't you see that?

I know I am being a bit harsh, but it's getting old. There is nothing more infuriating that deaf ears. Particularly when you have no where else to turn for answers.

The thread I referenced above is a great example of what one would expect as a result of looking for a solution for a trading issue as it relates to NT.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Your software is great and the support overall is very responsive. Nothing is 100%, but these are areas I think NT could do better on. I have been recommended your platform to many trading firms here in Chicago that I prop trade for and I want to see you grow for selfish reasons ;-) The more revenue you get, the more support and features we get!

Thanks,

r2kTrader

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
          Hello r2ktrader,

If something is not supported, it does not mean it is not possible; it outside of the scope we provide support for.
          Last edited by r2kTrader; 03-01-2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

This may help to those that arrive here looking for spread charts.
            Best luck!

Comment

Hi R2KTrader,

I hear your comments and I assure you that we try to provide guidance when possible. There are times where possibilities are overlooked, this is easy to do with the extreme flexiblity NinjaScript offers in addition to the flexibility that C# provides. For sure spread charts are not supported at a GUI level but one could work around that limitation by creating a strategy that plots the difference between two instruments. We are always trying to improve our level of support. Thanks for your understanding, patience and willingness to share your thoughts.
              RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

@r2ktrader: Please send me a note to "dierk AT ninjatrader DOT com" for follow up. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                  Hi R2KTrader,

I hear your comments and I assure you that we try to provide guidance when possible. There are times where possibilities are overlooked, this is easy to do with the extreme flexiblity NinjaScript offers in addition to the flexibility that C# provides. For sure spread charts are not supported at a GUI level but one could work around that limitation by creating a strategy that plots the difference between two instruments. We are always trying to improve our level of support. Thanks for your understanding, patience and willingness to share your thoughts.
                  Ray,

Thank you for your reply and attention. What you just said in regards to the plotting of the 2 different values is (from what I understood) exactly what the poster was looking to do. Granted, perhaps not 100%, but certainly enough to satisfy some level information for a spread trader.

For what it's worth, a spread plot example would go a long way for many I am sure. Particularly with the volatility where it is. I introduced a lot of former pit traders to NT and that was the biggest push back. If I had a spread plot to show them, it would have helped. I am building a spread spreadsheet using IQFeed as a pet project in the meantime. An indicator that could plot the spreads in some fashion or fire a signal, would be beneficial.

Ok, back to work. I will also follow up with Dierk as per his request.

Thanks again Ray,

r2kTrader

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:56 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post WHICKED
                  by WHICKED

Started by Felix Reichert, Today, 02:12 PM