Data reloading in full all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data reloading in full all the time

I've seen this issue with other users, but couldn't find the conclusion (it moved to another thread which doesn't exist).

I'm on 6.5.1000.5, but this problem has been with me since the start of version 6 and every version since.

Every time I:
    - start Ninjatrader
    - change timescale

It will reload all the data, in full, from the beginning of that timescale (from Esignal in my case). It obviously takes forever. How can I stop this? I read about how it should just be the past 24 hours, but in my case, it can be years and years worth of data. It makes using NT virtually unmanageable.

I'm only trading currencies, and same applies for all.

Any ideas? thanks

Hello,

This happens when NT needs to go back to the servers to reload the data. It should not happen if you are switching say from 5 min. data to 1 minute data unless you change the lookback settings in format data series.

Also, it will happen when you change from different types of intervals: Daily to min. for example.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

"This happens when NT needs to go back to the servers to reload the data. It should not happen if you are switching say from 5 min. data to 1 minute data unless you change the lookback settings in format data series.

Also, it will happen when you change from different types of intervals: Daily to min. for example. "

Ben thanks, but not sure I understand. Why when moving from daily to min would it load back from the server if I've already loaded that minute data before? And what defines a different interval? Is 240 minute the same as 60 minute?

Comment

Hello,

Tell me what data feed you have and what intervals you are using and I'll test it for you and tell you why.

An interval is any way you segment the bars: 5 min, 30 min, Daily, 50 second, etc. Any combination.

The type of interval is: minute, second, daily, etc.

So when you change from say a 5 minute chart to a 15 minute chart all NinjaTrader has to do is re-orgainize the one minute bars in a different way.

When you change say from a 5 minute chart to a Daily chart NinjaTrader has to pull a different "type" of data to populate the chart which requires more processing and possibly accessing the servers if you do not have the data already in your historical data.

Comment

Ben, I'm using Esignal, for currencies (all the majors) only. I use weekly, daily, 240 minute, 60 minute, 15 minute.

There's nothing new in this - I've looked at hourly charts going back to 1990 before now, but it makes no odds. Whenever I switch between timescales, or first load up NT, I can guarantee it will request all this from the server every time.
          No upgrades have affected it - I actually thought this was by design and assumed it was an unwanted feature of NT.

Comment

Hello,

It works as expected for me: quick change between minute intervals, and a one or two second delay for changing in between different types of intervals. Try pulling less data by changing the Days back setting in the format data series window.

The more data you chart the longer it will take.

Comment

I understand ... but this is exactly what I'd like it to do, but yet it doesn't. It loads up all the data - it says loading data, data is coming in from the feed - it's not just reformatting.

So what would you recommend?

Comment

Hello,

Did you limit your days back to say 15 instead of going back to 1990? To do this open a new chart and modify the Days back field to 15 on the Format data series.

Comment

Of course! I was only using that as an extreme example. I usually have 30 days history.
                  I've been using NT for well over a year, but because I've started trading multiple currencies, I now find it unusable.

Again... if this isn't by design, any ideas on how to resolve? Thanks

Comment

Hello,

This link may help:

I am assuming you have closed out your old charts and openned new ones.

Try Tools>Options>Misc tab>Repair DB.

If that does not work it may be related to your ISP and/or CPU speed.

If you send me your account connection information to support at ninjatrader dot com "attn Ben" and reference this conversation I will test it on my end on my PC to see if it related your your PC/ISP.

Comment

Ben, I'm still struggling with this.

It's driving me crazy. I have tried repairing the DB, I've upgraded .NET, I have reinstalled, I have turned off extra software.

The same problem happens - I load up an hourly chart. I move to days (for example). Fine. Move back to hours, and the entire data reloads again.

I'm not sure how this would be related to my connection? This is NT requesting the data all over again isn't it? Why does it not recognise I have already loaded this data?

I must be missing something, because it's practically unusable, and I can't believe everyone else has this problem and ignores it!

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Historical data is divided in three types: minute, tick and daily data.

If you switch interval type in a chart, NinjaTrader will request data from your data feed provider.

NinjaTrader will only load data from the database as listed in the link Ben provided.

Did you try one of the two ways to ensure the internal cache vontains data for your instruments also listed in the link?
                        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, I just wanted to update you on this - it's now resolved. I:
                          - reinstalled NT and upgraded to latest .NET
                          - Deleted DB
                          - ensured defaults were set to within the paremeters of data available from ESignal.

I don't know which one solved it, but my guess is the last one. If your provider has 650 60 minute bars available, and you request 651, NT reloads the entire range (651 bars), not just the one bar that isn't in your cache.

Hope this helps someone!

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                          Historical data is divided in three types: minute, tick and daily data.

If you switch interval type in a chart, NinjaTrader will request data from your data feed provider.

NinjaTrader will only load data from the database as listed in the link Ben provided.

Did you try one of the two ways to ensure the internal cache vontains data for your instruments also listed in the link?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Aviram Y  
                          Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse