Collapse

Delayed Entry in shorter timeframe when using 2 timeframes in Strategy builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delayed Entry in shorter timeframe when using 2 timeframes in Strategy builder

I'm using a 5m chart as the chart I'm trading on and using to test. In strategy builder I have it so when the RSI is above its AVG using 15M Additional data <primary> instrument... ie. it allows me to use 15M data on the 5m chart and when the condition is met... it's supposed to signal a long... which it does BUT it goes "long" on the 5m chart 4 to 5 bars later than it should. So, it's kind of working in that it doesn't signal a long until the condition is met on the 15m "data"... but the execution of the long trade on the 5m chart is way late.

Say for example, the 15M bar condition was met at 12:30pm... ie. the RSI did move above the AVG at that time. For some reason, the 5m bar doesn't execute the long entry for 15 to 20 minutes later.

In layman's terms, I would think at the 12:30pm time, the 15M bar closed, met the condition which should then "tell" the 5M it met its condition so go ahead and buy after the close of the 5m bar. But it doesn't, it does it 3 to 4 bars later.

Is there a setting or something or is that just a nuance to the system? I use the same method on ToS and it works fine.

Hello TicksBandit,

Thanks for opening the thread. I see that this is in the NinjaTrader 7 forum, but I see you are referring to additional data series in the Strategy Builder so I assume you are referring to NinjaTrader 8. If I am mistaken, please let me know.

Without the full code I cannot test on my end or provide exact input as to why the strategy logic is firing after you expect it to. In order to determine this, we will need to take debugging steps to observe the strategies logic as it is executing.

I have created a video demonstration that mimics the strategy that you described and how we can create prints in an empty condition to monitor the values of our order entry conditions.

Demo: https://www.screencast.com/t/BiF153jRJSyo

Our next steps will be to run the strategy with similar prints added for your entry conditions in Market Replay, or the Simulated Data Feed with the NinjaScript Output Window open to watch the logic as it executes. This information should tell us enough about what is occurring to make any required changes to the strategy.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to write back.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yeah, I'm using NT8... it was late and I just didn't notice it wasn't NT8.

I noticed you used Cross Above... Is it better to use CrossBelow or CrossAbove rather than using Greater/Equal like RSI >= AVG? I used Greater/Equal. Is there a difference in terms of how it signals?

Comment

Hello TicksBandit,

Thanks for your additional question.

The CrossAbove() and CrossBelow() conditions will check if a cross has occurred within a certain lookback period. This will check for the one value previously being lower, and then crossing above a certain level depending on how many bars back you look.

Greater than operators will tell you simply if one value is greater than the other. These operators could be used to construct CrossAbove() conditions using a sequence of conditions that describe the cross over.

Cross over conditions must have a barsAgo value of 1 to work. Depending on the strategy logic you may wish to use a greater than check over a cross over condition. I typically advise to experiment with such modifications if you have an idea to optimize your strategy.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post GLFX005
        by GLFX005

Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM