Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ping Test With Continuum Servers

Hello,

I would like to run a ping test between my PC and the servers used by Continuum. Can you pass along the appropriate details on how to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Shain

Hello vern13,
    Thanks for your post.

If you want to test your connection you can use:

tracert <URL or IP ADDRESS>: This command allows you to view the path a packet of information takes through a network path to a IP address and detailed latency along the way.

ping <URL or IP ADDRESS> : Similar to the above, this command gives less information about the path but does report the latency.

Edit: Removed invalid address.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_DrewO; 11-01-2023, 04:52 PM.
    Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh,

Thank you for the quick reply and help with this topic, much appreciated!

Thanks again!

Comment

FYI the live account IP listed above by NT customer service does not work because it is incorrect. I spoke with CQG directly today (phone number is 1-800-525-1085) and they gave me the correct IP address. According to CQG only the orders get routed (eventually, as orders will first go through your brokerage servers first) through this IP address. If you have a CQG continuum connection your data feed is not coming from CQG directly. Weird but this is what is going on apparently.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_DrewO; 11-01-2023, 04:59 PM.

Comment

So orders and data go through Kansas and then Chicago CME ?
          Is there a faster solution ?

Comment

Theoretically, the answer has historically been:

Get a VPS located in a Chicago based data center, close to the CME exchange.

That may not help if the order routing still goes through Kansas, but that would
            really depend on their network topology, and whether they use any content
            acceleration technology (for ex, Akamai).
            Last edited by bltdavid; 07-18-2020, 03:17 AM. Reason: Changed "network topography" to "network topology" ... you'd think they'd be the same

Comment

Well, so maybe a VPS in Kansas will be even faster ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by kissandfly View Post
                So orders and data go through Kansas and then Chicago CME ?
                Is there a faster solution ?
                I am working on figuring out the details of order routing using NT brokerage and various connections (eg: CQG continnum, etc) but it is rather complicated and information is not readily available. I can tell you that if you are not CoLo somewhere near Aurora, IL where all the trade matching is done then you are at a disadvantage, if you are a HFT or otherwise fully automating your trades. If you are not automating your trades and you on the west coast of the US especially there is no reason to CoLo or use a VPS as you cannot overcome physics and will be always be at a disadvantage having considerably more latency.

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
                  Theoretically, the answer has historically been:

Get a VPS located in a Chicago based data center, close to the CME exchange.

That may not help if the order routing still goes through Kansas, but that would
                  really depend on their network topology, and whether they use any content
                  acceleration technology (for ex, Akamai).
                  Using Akamai is a nice idea but they cannot overcome the laws of physics either (point to point data transmission is limited to the speed of light which is affected obviously by distance aka location.)

Comment

Originally posted by Trader76 View Post

Using Akamai is a nice idea but they cannot overcome the laws of physics either (point to point data transmission is limited to the speed of light which is affected obviously by distance aka location.)
                    Well, yeah, ok ... sure, I believe in the laws of physics, too, of course.

But, hey, I'd certainly settle for speed of light point to point transmission!

In the meantime, yes, Akamai is indeed a nice idea.

Comment

Well, yeah, ok ... sure, I believe in the laws of physics, too, of course.

But, hey, I'd certainly settle for speed of light point to point transmission!

In the meantime, yes, Akamai is indeed a nice idea.

I'm trying to help not be argumentative. Point-to-point microwave transmission with a fiber backhaul is indeed what you need but there are other factors to consider as well it's multi-dimensional. And that technology is of little use in the trading world IMO. I am currently designing and constructing communication tower using microwave technology for a trading firm on the West coast. My full-time work is in applied technology and innovation (hardware and software implementation and development) specific to trading. In addition I've done alot of work related to NT8 specifically. However you are welcome to take my suggestions and comments with a grain of salt if you wish.

Comment

My feeble joke aside, I think we're both saying the same thing.

Which is, in the most general terms,
                        Other than a faster connection, you're trading software needs to be
                        running on a machine located as close to the exchange's servers as
                        possible.

I think working on a super fast connection using microwaves is pretty
                        darn cool, I wish I could learn more about what you do. I'm serious,
                        it sounds really high tech and very interesting.

Last edited by bltdavid; 07-19-2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

My feeble joke aside, I think we're both saying the same thing.

Which is, in the most general terms,
                          Other than a faster connection, you're trading software needs to be
                          running on a machine located as close to the exchange's servers as
                          possible.

I think working on a super fast connection using microwaves is pretty
                          darn cool, I wish I could learn more about what you do. I'm serious,
                          it sounds really high tech and very interesting.

Absolutely. Agreed. Regarding software, NT8 is pretty much the best out there for charting but order routing is a different story. Since NT discontinued their agreement with TT and since requiring everyone to use their brokerage unless using a grandfathered account, it has forced us to consider developing our own API or FIX adapter to ensure the most direct routing of orders. Depends on what happens with Reg NMS II as well; could change the landscape a bit for more sophisticated traders. Most of all it really depends on your trading methodology and more specifically again, how automated your trading is. Regarding the microwave technology, I am planning on forming a consortium or perhaps a more informal group via MeetUp or perhaps Zoom to share information on technology and trading. Both are still in their infancy stage imo. Not sure where you're located. I'm based in Las Vegas, NV for the next couple years. If you'd like to be a part of starting something like this let me know.
                          Last edited by Trader76; 07-20-2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by rdtdale, Today, 01:02 PM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
                          Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse